Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pier and roll off cover, mostly pics

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts

Looking very neat so far. Useful pointer for the mount fittings, too.

James

Graham from Astotec has mailed me, EQ6 top plate should be with me on Friday. I think this is a much better setup than my original plan which was to put a "billetparts" EQ6 adapter on the top plate

Less is best :clouds2:
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts
Fitted the wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

JamesF

JamesF

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts
I can see the sense in putting it somewhere nice and warm where there's easy access to power, but I'm not sure how you're going to get to see any of the sky.

:clouds2:

James

Skywatcher ST80, ST102, ST120, ED80, Skymax 127, MN190, 200P, Celestron C9.25, Coronado PST, several pairs of binoculars, 10" dob
EQ1, EQ3-2, AZ3, HEQ5 Pro, NEQ6 Pro
Planets: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
Messier Objects: 110
Lunar 100: 41

yesyes

yesyes

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,855 posts
I like those wheels and track. Where did you get them from?

Chris

Scope: Orion Optics UK SPX 250 F4.8 1/10PV (10" Newtonian) on HEQ5 mount
Observatory build in progress: http://stargazerslou...tory-the-build/

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,629 posts
An interesting thread petrol and one I'm sure many will benefit from. I agree with Chris that system looks good and I would be interested to know where yougot the idea from.

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts
The wheels are from a second hand video dolly (tracking) system I bought some time ago but never used. Other than that, I know nothing about it. I do however have quite a bit of spare track if anyone wants it. I’m sure it would be fairly easy for someone with a lathe to make some nylon wheels.

Blank pier plate from Astrotec has arrived. Have to say I am very impressed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitted the EQ6, this is better than my original plan of 2 plates and an adapter on the top plate

Posted Image

Pete
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Supernova

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,545 posts
Very neat, very strong, very nice.

You know that there is absolutely no need to have a level mount? You'd actually have a stiffer system if you just bolted the mount to the steel plate on the pier top.

Those rollers are great.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice, 11 May 2012 - 04:32 PM.

Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays, teach and learn imaging, SE France.  TEC140 apo on Avalon Liner FR. 2xTakahashi FSQ106 tandem on Mesu mount 200.  TeleVue Pronto, ZS66, 6 inch achro. Other mounts, Takahashi EM200, 2 x EQ6. TeleVue Gibraltar and TelePod. CCD; 2xAtik11000 full frame, SXVH36, Atik 320E, Lodestar, DMK21. Leica bins. This kit is co-owned owned with Tom O'Donoghue and Yves Van den Broek. Host 4 scope robotic shed. www.sunstarfrance.com

Isn't it great that amateurs can get so close to the universe?

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts

Very neat, very strong, very nice.

Olly

Hi Olly, coming from you that means an awful lot to me. I often look at your pics in awe :rolleyes: I did know there is no need to level the mount as I read it in one of your posts :icon_scratch: I can’t however fathom out how to use just one plate. The problem is that this tube would have to be inside the pier.

Posted Image

Also the distance between the threaded bar inside the pier is less than the diameter of the EQ6 base.

Posted Image

This would cause the bolts to foul. I did consider using only 1 plate but came to the conclusion that the diameter of the pier would have to be huge in order to accommodate this arrangement. I might be missing something simple though :clouds2:

The weak point as far as I can see are the 4 threaded bars that go into the pier. I am planning on spraying the plates then filling this void with resin and setting the bottom plate on it before it cures. I assume this will improve rigidity?

Posted Image

I don’t intend leveling the mount properly, which is why I went for the 6 bolt mounting between the plates. Rigid over level.

As far as progress goes, I have cut the wooden blocks to go between the concrete pads and the main joists. I will fit a DPC (Damp proof course) to these but for added protection, I am soaking them in preservative

Posted Image

My main concern is how to fit the door; no idea what to do :icon_scratch:Tomorrow is spraying day. I know how to do that so an easy day

Thanks for looking,

Pete
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts
Sprayed the metallic blue today

Plates

Posted Image

Synscan bracket

Posted Image

Damp proof course on base support

Posted Image

Base trim sealed with silicon

Posted Image

Fitting like this avoids unsightly end grain

Posted Image

Test run

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

Viv

Viv

Geek !

• Advanced Members
  • 3,114 posts
Great progress !!

That's going to be a nice compact roll off.
Skywatcher Explorer 130 PDS & Skymax 127, EQ3-2 mount, Canon 7D DSLR

Rare female aviation geek, often found near Coningsby

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts
Very nice :clouds2:

Gina
SW Explorer MN190 - Esprit 80ED Pro - Evostar 80 ED DS Pro + 0.85x FR/FF x2 - one with Baader SteelTrack focuser - EQ8 & NEQ6 Pro mounts - Guiding OAG with Lodestar X2 & PHD - Atik 460EX mono x2 and 314L+ mono Filters Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII, 5nm SII - Baader LRGB - Atik EFW2 filter wheel - 35, 55, 85, 105, 135, 200, 300mm lenses - EQMOD CdC APT SharpCap DPP DSS PS Artemis Capture

steelfixer

steelfixer

Ex member

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,115 posts
That is looking stunning Peter.
You have put in a lot of hard work there.
When it is finished it is going to be a first rate set up.
Well done you should be very proud.
Graham

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts
Thanks for the feedback :) More done today

Brackets to hold the base secure

Posted Image

Fitted a foam collar around the pier base, this is more for insulation than movement isolation. Measured and cut to size

Posted Image

Double sided tape on the back

Posted Image

Fitted

Posted Image

Underfloor insulation – I cut the polystyrene sheets slightly too big and used a board to fit them

Posted Image

Cut them with this serrated knife

Posted Image

Complete

Posted Image

The foam around the pier base made the floor easier to cut

Posted Image

Floor fitted

Posted Image

Fitted the mount

Posted Image

Trail fit with my biggest scope to check for clearance

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rain is forecast so I used my trailer tent cover

Posted Image

Thanks for looking

Pete
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts
That's looking really nice - very neat - great stuff :)

Gina
SW Explorer MN190 - Esprit 80ED Pro - Evostar 80 ED DS Pro + 0.85x FR/FF x2 - one with Baader SteelTrack focuser - EQ8 & NEQ6 Pro mounts - Guiding OAG with Lodestar X2 & PHD - Atik 460EX mono x2 and 314L+ mono Filters Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII, 5nm SII - Baader LRGB - Atik EFW2 filter wheel - 35, 55, 85, 105, 135, 200, 300mm lenses - EQMOD CdC APT SharpCap DPP DSS PS Artemis Capture

starfox

starfox

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,082 posts
Looking really good, very cool!:)

Chris

Scopes: Celestron C8 Edge HD + 0.7 Reducer, SW Heritage 100p, Coronado PST. Eyepieces: 5,6mm 2x15mm Vixen SLV / 11mm ES82 / 9,14 & 20mm ES100 / 16,24,28 & 40mm ES Maxvision's. Mounts:  NEQ6 + belt drive mod & ADM saddle, Horizon 8115 tripod. Binos: WO 10x50ED, Vixen BT81-S Binocular Telescope. Cameras: Canon 1100D. DIY Observatory and pier.

dtr42

dtr42

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,023 posts
most excellent series of pictures and posts [forum not wooden:)]

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts
Built the frames tonight using 60 X 30 PAR timber. Screwed it all together with 4 X 75mm Deck screws.

Posted Image

3X 100mm solid brass hinges for the door. These are pretty big but there will be a fair bit of load on them

Posted Image

Have to say these really are “silky smooth” probably due to the washered design. I got them from B&Q, they sell loads of hinges and it’s hard to sort the good from the bad but if anyone wants some the packet looks like this

Posted Image

Edited by Petrol, 14 May 2012 - 10:09 PM.

Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

Petrol

Petrol

Star Forming

• Members
  • 159 posts
Screwed the frame on

Posted Image

Wood frame screwed to top. I have something a bit special planned for the roof, I’m not sure exactly how it’s going to work out yet but I can always screw some blocks on to increase the overhang on the sides

Posted Image

Then it jack-knifed

Posted Image

Well it’s a bit tight to the fence so I tipped it on its side to get the visqueen vapor barrier on. No joins, one piece did 3 sides. Nailed on with galvanized clout nails

Posted Image

Checked for clearance, 200p

Posted Image

Megrez

Posted Image

Waterproof for now. I don’t trust the met office with their forecast, it was suppose to rain all day today :)

Posted Image

More soon,

Thanks for looking

Pete
Sky-Watcher 200
WO Megrez & Zenithstar
EQ6

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,629 posts
Great progress.

laser_jock99

laser_jock99

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,260 posts
Looking good.

Astro Images & Observatory Photos
http://s48.photobuck...sort=3&page=all
Refractors- SW Equinox 120ED, SW 80ED, Altair Astro StarWave ED80 + 0.7x & 0.6x Reducers

Reflectors- Cape Newise 200mm/F6, Revelation Astro/GSO 6", 8", 10" & 12" Astrograph F4/F2.9 Newtonians

ASA Keller Coma Corrector/Reducer + Baader MPCC III coma corrector. Mounts NEQ6 x 3 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users