Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyrid ionization trail animation

Had a great evening at the Rollright Stones Saturday evening trying to image the Lyrid meteor shower (it was more of a drip actually).

We only saw a few bright meteors in over four hours and this one was by far the best, it left a visible trail for about 20 second after it briefly flashed past Polaris.

I was shooting 60 second exposures with a Canon 600D mounted on the Astrotrac and below is an animated gif starting two minutes before and ending eight minutes after the meteor passed.

If you look above the meteor you can see the ionization trail drifting up and dissipating, very fortunate to get this as well :D

Mel

7106878073_c0848dc8dd_o.gif

Close up

7106873713_a415248ab7_o.gif

Thanks Ian

You may be interested to know that I've checked the exif data and this is the exact same meteor you caught over in Gloucestershire on your all-sky camera at 0006UTC

Link http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/186366-lyrids-maybe.html

might be worth checking to see if this trail appears on your camera as well.

I know it's the same meteor Sandra caught because she was set up next to me at the Rollrights

Link http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/186309-lyrid-meteor.html

Mel

Great captures Mel.

Do you know what the other 2 trails were ??

I think they are just passing satellites Scarlet, we must have seen x5 more satellites than meteors that night.

Here is an image showing a close-up with a few constellations to give an idea of the field of view.

6960806114_22377a6d13_o.jpg

Archived