Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Welcome to the South Wales group!

garethmob

Welcome to the South Wales Group

We are mainly based in the South Wales area and hold various observing meets at sites from south (Cwmcarn, Blaenavon) all the way as far as mid Wales.

We are a very friendly bunch and welcome all people regardless of experience, age from all parts of Wales (not just the south and even across the border :(), to any of our meets which are held every 2 - 4 weeks (weather permitting).

We also encourage "unofficial" meets between members at any time the sky is clear :).

A map showing the rough positions of our members is

http://stargazerslounge.com/south-wales-group/154967-areas-every-one-lives.html

If you would like to be included post the first 4 letters/numbers of your post code into the thread (EG np12) or the area and the map will be updated.

The main observing site currently used is just outside Blaenavon.

The google coordinates are

+51° 47' 25.57", -3° 4' 10.74"

(on the map it is the blue pin, not the green one by the road). The site is next to a large tv/radio mast on a flat carpark like area. There is also another site 2 a few hundred yards down the road which we use if winds are high as it is more sheltered.

If you are unsure how to get to the site we usually are able to meet members in ASDA Brynmarw carpark.

We welcome any suggestions to other sites as well, don't be afraid to post about them :confused:.

Edited by Helen
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

hey all was told i could join the sw group im from chepstow/gloucester depending.just purchased my first scope a ssw 250px and would love to be able to stargaze will knowledgeable people in a nice place that's actually dark.

would love to come to a meet if no 1 minds, thanks sam:)

Hi Bob the next observing session is this coming saturday at Blaenavon,the co-ordinates are within the frst post of this thread.I normaly try to arrange a meet every few weeks so just keep a eye for the dates in the South Wales Group,i look forward to meeting you at one of the sessions

Thanks for fast reply Matthew, unfortunately will be away this coming weekend, looks like it will be a good one. We met at Duffryn earlier this year, discussed EQ platforms amongst other things, look forward to meeting you again soon, have just finished and am shaking down an 18" and your Blaenavon site looks ideal to test it.

Regards Bob.

Aaaaaaaaaa Bob!,this year has gone so quickly!.It would be great if you could attend one of the sessions ( i bet that 18" dob is something else ),im hoping to attend one of the observing sessions with CAS next month,i will let you know which one.

Welcome to you new members, this is a very friendly and helpful group with lots of useful knowledge available

pas with others I'm away for this meet and will be until around the end of October, but will try to keep tabs from away

look forward to meeting up with you all again as we benefit from longer dark nights

I expect to be at CAS tomorrow evening if anyone is interested, lecture on the Moon, should be good.

See you all soon

Hi guys new to the forum form merthyr tydfil Cf48 add me to the list

I have a Celestron 21035 Travel Scope 70 Telescope its ok got me back into astronomy after a few years but am looking at moving up to a Dobs maybe a 6-8 inch

Does any one have any advice for me on what to go for

Also does anyone know if there are shops that sell them so i could have a look before buying one

Thanks

Dean

• 1 month later...

Is this the hello thread for the S. Wales group?!

It is now!

Hi all.

Most of you seem to be the other side of the M4 from me.

I'm just outside Bridgend, not likely to see you in Blaenavon very often, but I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time now, so I thought I'd say hello!

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello bingevader,

There is an old thread that that garathmob started for general conversation, was called

South Wales Lounge. Its been quiet for awhile, maybe it should have been a pinned thread,

however, this one will do.

Welcome to the group ! :smiley:

Edited by L8-Nite

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello there im jon from neath ,been linked to this lovely little part of the forum,,

i'm a complete noob these days used to love it when i wasa child and i havent even got my first scope yet ,i'm actually laid up with a nasty broken ankle at the minute so got plenty of time to do my research but i am looking at a skywatcher 200p dob , it seems to have the bet reviews around..

i'm sure i will be annoying you all with silly questions very soon..

Welcome on board Jon - the South Wales group are a really friendly bunch - as are the rest of the members on SGL. We'd be glad to see you up at Blaenavon at one of our observing sessions with or without your new scope. The 200p on a Dob as I know from experience is a great scope to get going with - easy to set up with great views - overall probably one of the best bang for bucks scope you could consider buying. If we ever have any clear nights- why not pop up to meet us some time theres plenty of us with 200p's if you fancy a try before you get your cash out.

As for the questions- just ask away - suprizing what other people learn when just one person voices his concern - nothing is too small or silly at all

Edited by stevetynant

Nice one Steve it might be an idea on the next clear night I've been stuck in with a broken ankle for 6 weeks with another 6 weeks before i start physio if my wife is all good with it i would love to come up and at least put some faces to names.

Although is the site suitable for wheel chair and crutches didn't think of that.

If it is great id love to come up.. I could bring my camera and get some long exposure shots.

When is next meet I've been following lots of posts from this forum and would love to come to one soon. I'm based just outside llantrisant so a trip up the M4 towards Newport would probably be quite easy for me. Is it just a case of turn up and say hi?

Hi astrojoe,keep an eye on the forum and Mat will post details of when the next meet will be.Its always on a Saturday evening. I live in Cardiff so if you want to follow me up to the site,you are more than welcome,that goes for you too sparkyjon, I could meet you up by dowlais top,let me know