Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

getting rid of floaters

richbyers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its basically debris within the eye itself (vitreous humour) dont think there is a lot that will help (i could be wrong). Maybe speak with an optician, he/she could probably help a lot with tips etc ;)

Nothing you can do about them, and they get worse with age. Just think of them as part of the atmosphere, and try to concentrate on what you're looking at, rather than what you're looking through.

Could do, certain medication is known to increase floaters, what medication are you on? (if its personal please dont answer)

But yeah that may be a cause/reason for them to get worse

oo quetiapine lol

I wouldnt quite cache is nasty, but yeah, needed as such i imagine ;) I dont think quetiapine would cause floaters and the only other option is surgery id imagine, so yep, doomed...along with a lot of us.

Im 29 and i have a lot of floaters to so your not alone! :)

I have them in various forms - big black lines, small 'scratch' patterns of lines, blobs of grey etc... and I'm only 26! I've had them for years - looking at the sky or a blank wall is a no no! They are annoying, but alas, nothing much can be done. Surgery can be performed if it is EXTREME, but is best left alone.

I've had them for nearly 40 years (since my 20s) and my optician says they're quite stable and harmless, and I can testify they don't tend to get worse as you get older (at least, not for me). After all those years one gets used to them and is able to 'work around' them.

Not an ideal answer I know, but I would suggest, if your optician says leave them be, take that advice.

I have had a large one in my left eye for years and I have a lazy right eye, so basically I am screwed.

I usually just blink a few times and move my eyeball around to move the floater to the side so I can actually see.

I have come to deal with them however irritating they may seem.

I think floaters are a pretty normal phenomenon and I'd be surprised if folk have never experienced them before.

In Spanish they're commonly called 'moscas volando' which means something like, 'flying flies' and I've heard that unless they're very dark in kind, very, very dark, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. They're absolutely natural.

On the old wife's tale front, I've heard that eye drops may help and that gazing at the moon for a few minutes each day may also help. Who knows?

The way to minimise their impact is to keep the exit pupil to a reasonable size as Moonshane says. Using slow scopes (long focal length) means you can get high powers without resorting to very short focal length eyepieces. This will give you larger exit pupils as well.

how do you get them i mean are they air bourne or just in your system

Most of the inner-eye is made up of a jelly-like substance which is housed in the vitreous (what wonders of nature!). And it is absolutely normal that as the eye naturally ages (even children can have floaters), the vitreous also begins to age. What folk call floaters are tiny little cracks in the vitreous. Like age itself, too my knowledge, I have never heard of any method which prevents their formation.

I find as mentioned by another it's better if you can observe near to horizontal (your head not the scope) also blink a few times then try not to move your eyeball and the

floaters tend to float to the bottom of your eye

Davey T

Archived