Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where did all the stars go?

AstroMum

So I wasn't planning on doing any stargazing tonight, but looking out of the window after my toddler had gone to bed revealed a nice clear sky. Not exactly perfect conditions, but good enough and not too chilly either.

I spent about an hour setting up, aligning and viewing a few objects. Then I popped back indoors for a hot cuppa and to make myself a little itinerary of things to see. I'm not usually very organised, so was quite pleased with the resulting list I'd made and headed back outside to get started.

Only I couldn't see a blasted thing. I assumed my night vision was completely shot and waited for my eyes to adjust, but then I noticed I could barely see the trees at the end of my garden.

Would you believe it, the skies are perfectly clear for the first time in ages and I get..... FOG!!!

:) :) :)

Same here, night before last. Got the scope outside to cool nice and early, clear sky through dinner and doing children-type stuff. The last thing I had to do before having time to go out was pick up my son from cubs and about ten minutes before I left the fog rolled in and I didn't see a thing all evening :)

James

I bought a Canon 350D body because it was cloudy, it's very expensive when it's cloudy :-)

I did manage to print off a load of great Telrad maps though. Crab nebula here I come (When Daniel's astro-purchase clouds have gone)-

Sky Maps

I know the feeling Becky only to well....Living in South Lowestoft, next to the beach (60 yards or so) I get terrible fog. The thing thats keeping my sanity together right now is knowing everybody else has terrible viewing also....normally its just us here!!!

Chris

I know the feeling Becky only to well....Living in South Lowestoft, next to the beach (60 yards or so) I get terrible fog. The thing thats keeping my sanity together right now is knowing everybody else has terrible viewing also....normally its just us here!!!

Chris

I've always wanted to live by the sea, but looks like sand and stars don't go together well (at least not here in the UK).

That said, I do love the north Suffolk coast and would jump at the change to have a home there.

Thanks for that post Astromum. Thats helped me to make my mind up! "Shall I go see my parents or not"? they live on the Deal, Kent coast. I was going to try some imaging or gazing down there - to escape the arguments on an evening. but if its tricky being by the sea then I'll stay here :)

Archived