Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

At last a full-on session with my 12"

assasincz

Thanks to today's concentration of favourable factors, I was finally able to enjoy my first full-on observing session with my 12" dob. Not even the freeze (-7°C) and not even the near-full Moon could have spoiled "my night".

It was the first time I was travelling with my 12" scope to a observing site, and I was a bit anxious about the issues of transporting such a big scope. As it turned out, it was far easier than I imagined, even when being alone. I also took with me my 15x70 binos and a tripod with an EQ2 to mount them on.

When I got to the emergency airfield where I regularly observe, I found out that there was noone - no car - there (this is not often the case), so I decided to utilize an old rusty gate on the access road to prevent potential intruders from disrupting my session. This has never occured to me before, because the gate was overgrown with vegetation a good portion of a year. Thanks to this, this was I dare to say my first and so far only session on the airfield not disrupted by yobbos or "driving school" cars. How glad I was for that.

First things first, a 93% full Moon did worsen the views somewhat, but nontheless, I managed to see way more that I hoped for.

Mars - first time ever I really saw any apparent surface features. With my toy-ish 4.5" a while back, there was no detail observable and Mars was just an orangy speck, but presumably due to Mars being pretty much in opposition tonight, the views were stunning. albedo surface features were nicely apparent and the polar cap was glistening like a diamond on a top of a ring. Applying a 80A blue filter made the polar cap stood out even more, although it washed out the albedo details. Seeing allowed me to use 250x magnification so Mars eventually appeared large and, well, significant, like from a photograph. I was really chuffed to bits, as I did not expect to see such an amount of detail.

Saturn - This was the treat of the night. I saw it for the very first time sometime back in 2011 with my 4.5" when I was "restarting" the hobby. Today's views did almost blew my head off - It was truly a wow moment. Saturn appeared as textured and as three-dimensional as never before. Not only was I able to see the Cassini division clearly and the Saturn's shadow casted on the rings, but the banding in the atmosphere was clearly visible (especially one large orangy band) and I was even able to see not only Titan, but Rhea, Enceladus, Tethis, Dione and as it turned out, Iapetus as well. Marvellous moment, I have to say.

C/2009 P1 Garradd - Although I managed to locate it, apart from a slight smudge, there was no real detail observable, although I am given to understand that it has two tails these days. Nevertheless, it was nice to see an "old friend" again.

As far as DSOs are concerned, I limited myself to those most prominent ones I was able to locate from the top of my head, due to the near-full Moon. I was attempting to locate and observe some more, but gave up evetually.

M57 Ring Nebula - scarecely above the horizon, it was still apparent even in high magnification of 250x, even through the low contrast that night. Even with my 4.5" on the best nights it was not as well apparent as tonight

M13 Hercules Cluster - for the first time seen as a swarm of stars rather than an insignificant smudge. I was expecting the 12" scope to perform better that my 4.5", even on a near-full Moon night, but I was not expecting that sort of detail, despite the low contrast.

M81+M82 - I attempted to locate the Bode's Nebulae as they were pretty much at the zenith. However, the moonshine did make starhopping from the edge of the Dipper rather difficult and after a while I ceased my efforts. Apart from these, I was hoping to locate some more, but the Moon made all the efforts futile.

Still, despite the freeze and the Moon, this was a magnificent session, as I saw things with my own eyes that I have never seen before. What is more, my 15x70 proved to be a worthwhile purchase as well, although the tripod adapter is terribly flimsy

Two great purchases you've made there. 12" Dob and 15x70's no DSO will be safe from your prying eyes.:headbang:

Every observer should have a look at M13 through a big scope like yours. Then try and say "they're all just faint fuzzies";)

You just wait for the new Moon.:D

Congrats and enjoy.

Regards Steve

Archived