Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My obs Eureka moment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,866 posts
Hi all,

Some of you might recall my project of a couple of years ago when I converted my kids' unused playhouse into an observatory (see the thread here). It's served its purpose brilliantly, but I had a bit of a Eureka moment the other day, which led to me making a significant change to it today which will enhance my use of it. Here it is in action before the changes:

Posted Image

When I made the original conversion, the location of the pier was based on the naïve assumption that the telescope would and should always be parked in the 'traditional' vertical position. The drawback of having the pier in this position was that there was very little room in the obs for me, and much of the sky from east through to north and west was obscured by the roof, although I have a good east-south-west view. However, I found that I always parked it in a horizontal position because the guidescope got in the way of the roof anyway. The Eureka moment was realising that if I shifted the obs a couple of feet to the north, leaving the pier in position, I would gain a much greater area of sky, and also much more space in the obs for me. Took me two years to realise it.

So I attacked it today, and here's a slightly mad animation of the result, and a pic of it in my usual parked position. Even I had the sense to move the telescope out of the way before shifting the obs!

Posted Image Posted Image

That short change in position means that the only bit of sky now obscured is a cone from NW-N-NE, which is no great loss, and the circumpolar region is now visible to the scope for the first time. Until now I could only image objects for around 3 hours either side of the meridian, but now I can extend that for a few hours. Think I'll take a pic of the previously-obscured Polaris to celebrate!

Now it needs a lick of paint.

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK
SCOPES: 12" Meade SCT, 250PDS SW Newtonian, 200P
SW Newtonian, SW ST80 / NEQ-6 Pro, Coronado PST, TAL 100RS, Skymax 90
CAMS: Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9, QHY5, IMG132e, DFK 21AU618.AS, Canon 700d

dean w

dean w

Star Forming

• Members
  • 150 posts
very nice

David Smith

David Smith

Smartipants

• Advanced Members
  • 3,313 posts
It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to miss the obvious! I thought it was just me! Enjoy the new view.

51j0qLE88%2BL._SS100_.jpg  David (formerly David_The_Bears_Fan)

Scopes: Revelation 10, Coranado PST, Evostar 120 + Celestron CG-4 Eyepieces: Revelation set, TMB PII 4mm, ES 82 6.7, 8.8, 11 & 18mm Cameras: Canon 1100D, Logitech QC Pro 4000, QHY5-II

My Images on Flickr

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts
Result!! :)

Gina
SW Explorer MN190 - Esprit 80ED Pro - Evostar 80 ED DS Pro + 0.85x FR/FF x2 - one with Baader SteelTrack focuser - EQ8 & NEQ6 Pro mounts - Guiding OAG with Lodestar X2 & PHD - Atik 460EX mono x2 and 314L+ mono Filters Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII, 5nm SII - Baader LRGB - Atik EFW2 filter wheel - 35, 55, 85, 105, 135, 200, 300mm lenses - EQMOD CdC APT SharpCap DPP DSS PS Artemis Capture

swamp thing

swamp thing

Dob the builder

• Moderators
  • 7,790 posts
Great animation.
Nice one.

Steve

20" Swamp Dob 10" iDob 4.5' RFT

15x70 & 10x50 bins

Televue Naglers + powermate :cool:

Gina

Gina

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts
Neat little obsy that is :) Simple and clever design. A gert big scope in a teeny obsy :) Mine's t'other way round ATM - provision for a bigger scope later :icon_scratch:

Gina
SW Explorer MN190 - Esprit 80ED Pro - Evostar 80 ED DS Pro + 0.85x FR/FF x2 - one with Baader SteelTrack focuser - EQ8 & NEQ6 Pro mounts - Guiding OAG with Lodestar X2 & PHD - Atik 460EX mono x2 and 314L+ mono Filters Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII, 5nm SII - Baader LRGB - Atik EFW2 filter wheel - 35, 55, 85, 105, 135, 200, 300mm lenses - EQMOD CdC APT SharpCap DPP DSS PS Artemis Capture

Peter Drew

Peter Drew

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,872 posts
Very pleasing, you have to wonder whether Archimedes or Newton had the same feeling. :)

assasincz

assasincz

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 378 posts
Is there a reason why you do not make the other half of the roof detachable as well? Seems less complicated to me

SW 114/900 EQ2
Skymaster 15x70

Hyperion Zoom + Barlow 2.25x

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,866 posts

Is there a reason why you do not make the other half of the roof detachable as well? Seems less complicated to me

One of the drawbacks of converting an existing structure cheaply, I guess. The pitched roof was important to the structural integrity of the thing. Removing the long stretch of roof was just about OK, but removing the other bit too would have made the walls all floppy and lose the simplicity of a simple roll-up roof. Anyway, it works reasonably well.

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK
SCOPES: 12" Meade SCT, 250PDS SW Newtonian, 200P
SW Newtonian, SW ST80 / NEQ-6 Pro, Coronado PST, TAL 100RS, Skymax 90
CAMS: Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9, QHY5, IMG132e, DFK 21AU618.AS, Canon 700d

Viv

Viv

Geek !

• Advanced Members
  • 3,114 posts
Nice one - That's a brilliant obsy !
Skywatcher Explorer 130 PDS & Skymax 127, EQ3-2 mount, Canon 7D DSLR

Rare female aviation geek, often found near Coningsby

nytecam

nytecam

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,183 posts
Well done - nice animation :D Hope you don't fall down the pier hole:eek:
Scopes: Meade 30cm f/3.7 LX200 astrograph in dome + ETX-70 e-finder/ PHD autoguider
PST Ha+CaK + Orange C8
Cams: Starlight Xpress SXV-M9 + Lodestar-M + Lodestar-C
Canon 300D + Fuji E550 + Hitachi HD camcorder
Equip: SBIG SGS + DIY spectrographs + OG prisms

Interests: dome design/build + SN hunting + DSOs in brief exps
Discovery = SN2011az http://home.freeuk.c...in/cnlinks.html

Anweniel

Anweniel

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,084 posts
Does seem a shame to be 'losing' sky in any obsy but most of us are limited in some way from our favoured observation points. My garden prevents me viewing a large area of sky from the South-West to NNW and a sodium lamp shining directly into the garden from the SE is real nuisance too.

Great idea to move the Obsy, sometimes its ahrd to see the woods for the trees, obvious maybe in hindsight but if you had been ducking the scope for 2 years it probably became just part of general use!

William Optics Megrez 90, Celestron 7x50 Finder, Skywatcher Skymax 127, Optrons 8" F4 Newtonian
Celestron CG5-GT, Skywatcher  EQ6 Pro
Celestron Eyepiece Kit, 7mm & 10mm Axiom LX
Baader 2", 7nm Ha, 8nm SII, 8.5nm OIII, Starlight Express 5 x 2" Filter Wheel  Skywatcher 2" LP filter, Celestron RGB, Moon, DIY Solar filter
Lx modded SPC900NC. Canon Eos 1000D, QHY5 Mono, ZWO ASI120MC, Atik 383L+, Starlight Express  MX5-C

starfox

starfox

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,080 posts
thats genius! I love that your obsy is a play house:D

Edited by starfox, 11 April 2012 - 11:09 PM.

Chris

Scopes: Celestron C8 Edge HD + 0.7 Reducer, SW Heritage 100p, Coronado PST. Eyepieces: 5,6mm 2x15mm Vixen SLV / 11mm ES82 / 9,14 & 20mm ES100 / 16,24,28 & 40mm ES Maxvision's. Mounts:  NEQ6 + belt drive mod & ADM saddle, Horizon 8115 tripod. Binos: WO 10x50ED, Vixen BT81-S Binocular Telescope. Cameras: Canon 1100D. DIY Observatory and pier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users