Narrowband

Venus Feb 25th

Space Cowboy

Thanks Neil,

Very interesting discussion.

I wonder how a violet filter would work :p

Something i havent tried, but would like to, just remember you need a ir blocking filter if a violet filter is used, or you will get a ir leak. I wonder if the luminence filter on a Astronomik type 2 set would work. I thought they also had uv cut in the coatings but have never looked into it if anyone knows. Though to be honest owning the Astrodon uv filter, it seems like a step backwards for me. but the violet approach might be interesting for others on a budget, we just need a cheap IR (only ) blocking filter. This could be a option for you Stuart a modded morgans with violet filter and IR blocking.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah found it Stuart, this one caught my eye, and is quite spellbinding. Though there is some debate on the usefullness of such images, as apparently some are suggesting the IR wavelengths and UV wavelengths are showing the clouds from different depths. A 3d image showing us this, now that would be something

Venus in false color August 28 2010 Amateur Astronomy Picture of the Day - Astronomy.FM

Thanks Neil very interesting! I've seen quite a few false colour examples and they are very striking. I'm guessing the violet filter would allow more light than the UV filter?

Found this too :

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-image-processing-help-techniques/168430-best-filters-venus.html

To be honest i dont know, i have a cheap w47 here already, but from what Rik said on the link you supplied, my Astronomik lum filter may cut uv.So i cant test it yet in comparison. But i do belive they are also very dark, just not sure by how much compared to uv. A Good cheap easily available IR cut is whats needed, not sure how easy the one mentioned on your link can be got, but size is something mentioned that i didnt quite understand

Archived