Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comparing Neodimyum and IDAS LPS Filters

Dave

After much deliberation I have acquired an IDAS LPS filter.

I quickly took a few images last night just to compare the difference that these two different filters produce from my location.

Top row shows what I get without using a filter. After a minute the background is so orange I didn't bother taking a 2 minute shot.

Second row shows the results using a Neodymium filter.

The last row the IDAS LPS filter.

All shots taken through an 8" Newtonian at Prime focus, using a 2" filter with a Nikon D5100 at ISO 1000.

Although the Neodymium filter did work quite well, it really gives a much darker background and a lot more contrast using the IDAS LPS filter, even after a two minute exposure.

Yoh! Onwards & Upwards...

Dave

post-14922-133877736925_thumb.jpg

Nice work Dave...

The SW filters sre great VFM.. I prefer the IDAS to any other of the LP filters I have...

I have sent my 2" one on its hols to the South Coast for a few weeks as i dont use it after getting the inbody (MFA) version..

Thanks for taking the time to produce the comparison:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Peter...

Quality post! More of these please across the board.

LP is interesting, and I wonder what you'd be able to 'fish' out in post processing using these different filters, seing a 'final' comparison. (Too much precious time I know...)

So far I have opted for no filter and rely on processing to cut out LP. A good start is something like Auto Colour Balance in Nebulosity.

Thanks for the work comparing the subs!

• 3 months later...

Archived