SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion eyepiece projection

Javert

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you use a Baader Hyperion for imaging.

I got one the other day, together with the t-adapter and fine tuning rings. Only got to use it for the first time last night but, although the views through the EP were great (much better than the ones with the stock EP's that came with my scope) I really struggled to get any images with my DSLR.

Maybe I've completely misunderstood, but I thought I'd just connect my DSLR and be able to take a photo of what I see through the EP.

I did manage a couple of images but, from memory, these were only when I had taken the 1.25" lens off the end and just used the 2" section and weren't any different to the photos I'd taken previously by connecting my DSLR to my x2 Barlow.

Sorry, thought I'd said what the issue was. I must have deleted the text when trying to re-format and put into plain English!

Anyway, I have a 10mm which I bought to replace the stock 10mm EP. It's definitely an improvement and the fact that I could attach my DSLR swayed me towards getting the Baader Hyperion.

I'm really impressed with the view through the EP, but when I came to attach my DSLR I couldn't see anything. I changed the ISO and shutter speeds but still couldn't see anything. I fully expected to just be able to attach the camera and it see what I see through the EP. When the screen was blank, I did try and re-focus but it didn't make any difference (didn't think I'd have to re-focus anyway).

Hopefully it'll clear up later and I can have another attempt.

I have have done very little imaging with my Hyperions. But this link shows how i got things to work with a PST.

Hope it is useful.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-lunar-solar/135101-pst-camera-last.html

Thanks.

That looks like the kind of setup I'm using. Guess I'll have to try again when the clouds disappear and see if I was doing something wrong.

Glad it worked out. I use my Hyperions visually. Great eyepieces, provided they don't cause the scope to fall over!

Whenever possible I try any different setup in daylight first. Whether eyepiece, camera or scope. Somehow the problems that have beaten me in the cold and dark are trivial in warmth and light.

Thanks David.

I did actually try them during the day first. Had the last week off work and I got the EP on Wednesday. Set it up in my conservatory and was able to focus on my camera through the EP. It's just when I came to use it on Thursday night I really struggled to see anything on the camera's Live View. Anyway, I sorted it out last night after a quick re-focus and a mess with the shutter speed and ISO.

I think the problems related to having to re-focus, as I didn't think I'd have to do than once everything was in focus on the EP.

Still think I'll probably end up going down the CCD route for photography although I'm certainly not disappointed with the results I ended up with.

This photo wasn't extracted from a video, it was stacked from about 20 individual photo's I managed to get last night.

post-32384-133877736889_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, just realized I want one of these bad boys. If I was to get just one, I'm interested in eyepiece projection of Dsos, which one?

Just a note: the nice gent from the astronomyshed UK series went on about his 17mm. I have not yet asked him but spose I will now soon.

Thanks in advance!

I intend to revisit this properly. Sadly had to sell all my Hyperions, to fund

"life", but will be starting over again with the 31mm ASP. Soon, hopefully. ;)

With the shortest possible extension (7.5mm) in my particular setup, the

Hyp 31 gave about the same (0.8 - 1.0x) the image scale as prime focus.

To get greater magnifications I will be using longer extensions, rather than

shorter focal lengths. Hopefully this will minimise anecdotal "distortions". :) 

Archived