SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Revelation x2.5 barlow. Good or Not ???

spaceboy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I've got one. Seems very good to me, but the only thing I have to compare it with was the Skywatcher cheapy which came with my 130 Newt, which is AWFUL. The Revelation is miles better, but whether there are others which are better I don't know.

I tried a brief comparison with the webcam of the Orion Shorty-Plus 2x (Same as the celestron Ultima) and the Revelation 2.5x, but unfortunately seeing/focus/collimation was off that night :(

I was surprised to find that the 2x gave a larger image than the 2.5x with the SPC900. That's about all the comparison I can make from those pictures :D:mad:

I should compare them visually, but I haven't got out in weeks.

Orion: Left, Revelation: Right

post-21504-133877736308_thumb.jpg

post-21504-133877736312_thumb.jpg

Hi Spaceboy, I have one of these courtesy of Samir from this very forum. I have found it an excellent piece of kit, nicely made and I have got my best ever images of Jupiter a few months ago with it.

Fitted with a brass compression ring, unlike my Tal x2 - so good for your eyepiece collection also! Really, for the money I think it is excellent value.:D I have no experience of the Celestron as a comparison but it is rather more expensive....

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks guys.

John that is the review that sparked my interest in this barlow. (that and the price :D)

Adrian the review mentioned that objects appeared smaller in the Rev barlow compared to the Ultima/shorty but also that the Rev showed a wider FOV. I can only assume it is an optical illusion that the image looks bigger in the shorty, but I'm guessing that .5x would not make a huge difference on image scale anyway ?? I plan to use it stacked with my TV x2 barlow for planetary imaging. Have you tried stacking the Rev barlow??

Ralph was that the one off astro buy and sell ? if the reviews are anything to go by you got yourself a bargain there.

Ralph was that the one off astro buy and sell ? if the reviews are anything to go by you got yourself a bargain there.

Hi Spaceboy, I got the Rev off the Buy/Sell Section here - when we had one......:D from Samir. Very pleased with it. Image of Jupiter attached using the Rev x2.5 and a C8.

post-17649-13387773636_thumb.jpg

Yeh miss that for sale section :D

Thanks for the image. At the kinds of mag you'd be getting in the C8 with it, it looks pretty darn good to me for a sub £40 barlow.

Don't know whether to hold out for one used or just to buy new for what they cost.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

Chalk me up as another satisfied user.

FWIW I've read that the Ultima may well be closer to 2.5x than 2x, which might explain why the two images of Jupiter are very close in size. I can't recall where I read it at the moment unfortunately.

James

Revelation is Telescope House branding, generally for GSO, I think.

I have a GSO 2x Barlow that seems to work well, though I am generally using in about 1.5x mode as a screw-in on to the eyepiece. I was singularly unimpressed by the presentation of this Barlow which came in a white box with GSO on it but no other branding or documentation nor indeed any marking on the Barlow itself, but it was not expensive...

....FWIW I've read that the Ultima may well be closer to 2.5x than 2x, which might explain why the two images of Jupiter are very close in size. I can't recall where I read it at the moment unfortunately......

Thats my understanding as well. Around 2.2x I believe. That would go for the Orion Shorty Plus as well I guess as they are more or less clones of one another.

I've not owned an Ultima barlow for a while but from what I recall it was a nice optic. The Antares 1.6x 2" barlow (also a great barlow) looks like an Ultima on steroids ! - I reckon they are made in the same factory.

Going of subject slightly. After hesitating several times to get a x2.5 TV powermate the recent price increases means it's now struck of my list all together. I was how ever surprised to find no ill effects when using my x2 TV barlow and 24mm 1.25" EP. At what point do you actually benefit from paying twice the price for a PM ??? I agree if really looked for there is a slight vignetting with barlows but the "pros" for a PM were that ER is not extended over a barlow. I can hand on heart say I don't feel the ER was extended in any way using the 24mm EP and even if it was it was not noticeable. I would feel it pointless using a 1.25" EP after 24mm anyway as you are restricted by the field stop and would be in favour of using the larger 2" EP's so again the PM would be an expensive luxury rather than a practicality IMO. I also read that you cannot vary the magnification in a PM like you can with a barlow and extension which I felt didn't go in the PM favour but that just personal preference. Am I missing some thing with PM's as it would have to be something amazing to warrant £175

I guess you need to try these things side by side to see if you notice any differences. Very difficult to achieve unless you are prepared to buy a few versions of everything and do a "group test" !.

For some though there are differences which is why the extra investment is made.

What I don't get is that there are not more side by side comparisons on the net. You think there are hundreds of astro clubs with thousands of members all with different kit. Would be nice if these clubs (given clear skies on a club night) did review nights.

I sold my 2.5 powermate a few months ago and bought a TV 2x barlow.

I did this mainly because the 2x was a more useful magnification factor for me, but I also felt that I could put the money I got for the powermate to better use. For the price I got for the PM second hand I bought the TV barlow and the Revelation 2.5 x.

The PM was excellent, but the standard barlow is just as good for my purposes. Maybe the imagers feel differently.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived