Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

owl cluster

Pug

Hi all,

I was shown the owl cluster (not nebula, it looks like a dot to dot of an owl in flight) on saturday at a meeting and wanted to show my daughter next time I'm observing from home, only problem is I can't remember where it is! Can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance, Pug

Hi all,

I was shown the owl cluster (not nebula, it looks like a dot to dot of an owl in flight) on saturday at a meeting and wanted to show my daughter next time I'm observing from home, only problem is I can't remember where it is! Can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance, Pug

Its under the central arch of Cassiopeia. Download a free piece of software called Stellarium, then you will be able to search for all the wonders of the sky and see where they are. You can set it to a certain date and time, great program for planning your nights viewing.

Cheers Slim!

Got stellarium, always my first port of call however, the owl cluster doesn't show on mine, got all the updates and add ons.

Not a problem and it is a fantastic piece of software. If you put owl cluster into the search box it does actually show NGC457. Very clever!

Also known as the skiing cluster I believe due to its resemblance to a skier? I've been skiing and I didn't look much that that! (Unless I fell over - then I did very much look like a 'splat'!)

The first cluster I looked for (after M45) on my first trip away from the city lights. A nice one but I found it a ****** to find to begin with.

Archived