Narrowband

Astro Photography Tool - APT

gfletcher

Hi Guys

What are members thoughts on APT ?

I have seen mention of it many times but need convincing that i should go and buy it.

I currently use DSLR focus with my Canon 350D

This allows me to get correct focus ( which shows on my laptop screen)

It also allows me to take various exposures to make sure that my target is positioned centrally in the FOV.

Will APT allow me to do such things?

I have a Canon 550D but cannot use with DSLR focus as it does not support any Canon camera above the 350D.

Hopefully if i were to buy APT it will allow me to use my 550D and give me all the facilities that DSLR Focus gives me .

Another downside of DSLR Focus is that it will not work with Windows 7

cheers

Graham

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, try the trial version. It pretty much does everything the full version does.

I've been using APT for nearly a year now with my 7D and wouldn't be without it. Does everything I need and a bit more.

Not tried it on W7 though. I run it on XP on a old 10inch netbook.

Cheers

Ian

I love APT. It has FWHM focus tool, you can create your own framing masks so you can get your target back in the same place on the chip several nights in a row (should we be luck enough to get such good weather). You can program different exposure plans for different things. I have one for focus, one for framing, one for standard DSO's one for HDR, one for lunar, etc. Darks, flats, & bias to match. It talks to PHD so you can use dithering in guiding. Loads of other stuff as well.

For about £12 for the full version it is a bargain.

There both very reasonably priced which is why I have both...

I used to used APT mainly because of its multi camera support running a couple of DSLRs takibg simultaneous closeup and widefield inages on the obs setup...

For a single camera setup on the portable "starparty" kit I find BYEOS easier to use on the netbook...

It's nice to have healthy competition and both developers should be commended for their work in bringing reasonably priced and highly functional products to the Market :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The authors of APT need to do a full-featured (non crippled) 30 day demo, like Backyard EOS.

I understand why developers do this, i'm a developer too, but I resent cripple-ware. I want to try ALL the features, then make up my mind.

In-part, that is why I paid for BYE, I dont regret it. Guylain's support is first class plus!

APT Dev......quit trying to whet appetites with a partial version...give us the real thing!

Andy

PS, there a features in APT that I would like to try, but I'm not going to until you release a full-featured, unrestricted 30 day demo.

Many thanks to all that recommended APT!

Andy, thank you for your opinion! I got your feedback from the site, but there was no mail address to send a response, so will make it here. APT has quite different "business" model. The "demo" version of APT is FULL featured application that can fully control EOS cameras without any limitations. As I know there is still no free alternative with similar features. This my contribution to the astro community and it is not a business.

If somebody likes the "demo" as it is and wants to reward my work, the way to show it is a very small fee. The additional features are bonus for all that support my efforts.

I know that this model is strange and it will not make me rich in money, but it is already making me rich in positive emotions when I know that APT is in help to so many fellows :p No matter if they got the demo or the full version.

Andy,

I could understand your viewpoint if the software cost a hundred pound or more, but it only costs around £12 to unlock all the extras Ivo has built in... what's that these days, the price of a few pints of beer, less than 3 packs of siggies !!

And as Ivo has said, the basic functionality of building a plan up of image sequences and then letting the software automate the taking and collection of subs is available regardless of using the demo or full version.... I paid for the full version and to be honest I've never used every single function.

Even if I hadn't purchased the full version I wouldn't agree with your statement. Personally I much rather have a demo version where the main functionality (that of automatically taking pictures) never expires rather than being forced to pay up at the end of 30 days or un-install the product. This almost makes APT freeware rather than cripleware ;)

Oh and one further thing... Ivo also releases updates which are free to registered users...

For me APT is the preferred option - Each to their own I guess.

I love both APT and BackyardEOS. I find the interface on BackyardEOS very slick and highly intuative. APT is a little less slick in design, but has a few nice little features which, for me, give it a slim technical edge. The decider for me is the very low cost of APT.

• 2 years later...

Just been looking at the APT & it's not going to work for me, Mac user so that's out i guess, 

Astrophotography is something I'm really keen on trying out when i get the scope.

So any recommendations on Mac apps that are out there i should try when i'm ready ? 

I will pop & have a Gander at BYE & hope it has a Mac version..

Just been looking at the APT & it's not going to work for me, Mac user so that's out i guess, 

Astrophotography is something I'm really keen on trying out when i get the scope.

So any recommendations on Mac apps that are out there i should try when i'm ready ? 

I will pop & have a Gander at BYE & hope it has a Mac version..

You will always be limit with a mac, however Nebulosity is available (http://www.stark-labs.com/index.html).

James

I've got APT it's taken me a while to get my head round some of the features but with some help from a fellow imager at the darksite I go to it's all starting to make sense. I did have a few issues early on but that was due to user error & not the software.

Just need more clear skies.

Archived