SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount Upgrade for Skyliner 200P Dob

Hi

I have the Skyliner version of the 200P (dobsonian) F6.

I wish to start getting into AP in due course with a EQ5/NEQ6 mount, but my question is.....is it worth mounting the 200P on the preferred NEQ6 mount?

I will obviously keep the base for the dob until such time as I sell that scope and get a suitable replacement in a few years.

I have already got a webcam/SLR mount etc but I just want to ask really if it is worth going down the mounting route for the F6 200P.

Mounts are a personal choice. some people don't get on with dobsonian mounts some can't get on with gems. If you want to go down the imaging route you are going to need at least the eq6 for it. It will fit on an eq5 but only for visual work

Hi kingboya

I was looking at the same mount for my 200p dob. I spoke to Martin at FLO yesterday and this was his response to my question about whether this combination was suitable:

"You would be better to think about a more suitable scope, don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you can't image with the dob tube, just it will be much more difficult , it's such a long and large OTA. It's all good fun and will get you on the imaging learning curve, but just don't expect to much from it. Even with the NEQ6 it will be a struggle to image with, it will be like a sail in the wind, even a slight breeze will have an effect"

Does anybody else have this combination of scope and mount?

an HEQ5Pro or NEQ6 will get you up & running for A/P with your 'scope...(got the 200pds on one here) with the amount of recomendations on here to buy the 200 Dob & then upgrade at a later date to the EQ mount I'm guessing there must be a fair few with that set-up...bound to someone along soon..

This is exactly the route I was thinking about going down. I know that it is not a perfect combination but it is the next proper upgrade.

I was considering changing the OTA to the 1000mm version (explorer) but just don't know!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Initially that was my thought but in the years to come (it will be a while- I'm in no hurry) I've decided to keep the 200p for my grab and go scope and get something completely different for A/P. The 200p cost £270 now so not sure in a few years time will it be worth trading in at all - all the rest of the gear E/Ps Colimators are keepers - just wonder if in the long run this is the best way forward.

Good thinking Steve. I had not really considered keeping the 200P and buying a new scope. Equatorial mounts involve lots more setup time so keeping the grab and go is a big plus!

I have seen one or two images here of 200P on an EQ6. Looks big!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I've used the 200 pds on an HEQ5Pro for imaging and it seems fine, but must admit I now have the AZEQ6GT and use it with 102 and 65 mm apos and can get longer unguided images and with guiding it easily does 10 minute subs. I never go past ten mins in case something messes up the frame, but must try it sometime. Anyway, the HEQ5Pro would be a good start. Think there's a new azeq5gt out too now.

Lots of folks have done this with their 200P dobs - the views will be the same and the only difference is that you'll have equatorial tracking and goto. Nothing wrong with trying it out. The rings are only £35 and a long dovetail bar is only £17.90 (FLO prices).

If you want to image with it though it might be an idea to sell the dob and put the money towards a 200PDS OTA. At least then you'll have a dual purpose scope which can be used for observing as well, but with a better f-ratio for imaging. They're £300 new but if you're not in a rush you can get them for around £200 second hand depending on age and condition. Hth :)

• 10 months later...

Whichever mount you go for, I would definitely keep the dobsonian mount for those grab-and-go sessions. Alternatively, buy a smaller 'scope with the EQ5 Pro mount for photography, then whilst you're taking those long exposures you can have a peek through the 200/Dob.

Archived