SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Auto-guided EQ1 mount

Gonzo

This is a joined project with Themos about the auto-guided EQ1.

In no particular order some threads to help you understand the behind of this project,

eq-polar-alignment - Rosedale Photo Polar Alignment - Google Project Hosting

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/eq_mod.pdf

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/175110-eq1-8-arcsecs-per-pixel-how-long-exposure-orion-will-i-manage.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/105214-arduinoastrocontrol-homebrew-autoguider-mkii.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/148315-spc900-lxmod-yesyes-style.html

BIG thank you to everyone involved in the above links.

my auto-guided EQ1:

image_service.php?photo_id=1519&type=mid

image_service.php?photo_id=1526&type=mid

EQ1 motor control box

image_service.php?photo_id=1524&type=mid

opto-isolator ILQ74

image_service.php?photo_id=1527&type=mid

fits nicely in the box

image_service.php?photo_id=1531&type=mid

taking shape...

image_service.php?photo_id=1533&type=mid

Arduino mini light (not easy to program)

image_service.php?photo_id=1532&type=mid

everything fits in the box

image_service.php?photo_id=1535&type=mid

the finished project

Does it work? .... yes it does work quite well (I just need to understand more how PHD really works....).

With a not too accurate polar alignment, I took a 60" shot and it came out nice. I still have to buy the remote for my GF1 so I can remotely use the bulb function, hence I'm only limited to 60" at the moment.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of curiosity, what webcam is that you are using to guide with? I got a cheap £8 one from Maplin but it doesn't appear to be sensitive enough to see any stars, even when used in conjunction with something like SharpCap.

I use a SPC900 webcam with a YesYes style mod and the finder is an Orion 9x50.

I'd love to do this project on my EQ2, but the instructions you and Themos have provided are so unclear??

do you need a GPUSB product to interface the handset to a computer?

from the photo it looks like you have wired the ILQ74 to the RA+ and DEC+ (or RA- and DEC-)? surely it should be RA+ and RA-.

How do you program the arduino? do you use the same code as supplied with the full dual axis autoguiding project?

I can sort of see where the wires are soldered to the handset buttons, but haven't a clue where they connect to the arduino.

I think this is fantastic. The entire idea of auto-guiding an EQ1 is so bonkers it's wonderful. I want to do it to mine now :)

James

thank you, yes it is bonker :D. It's mainly for wide field astro photography :p.

A 3 minute crop of Orion nebula, shot 2 nights ago in the Atlas mountains of Morocco with the autoguided EQ1. Polar alignment was about 5 arcminutes originally but was disturbed subsequently, prior to this shot. One needs to be very careful with this setup, it does not forgive errors.

I also found out that I need to check that the North-South switch is set correctly on that handset!

EOS 450D, CLS Astronomik filter (didn't need it, really), 135mm Zeiss Jenna lens set to f/4.5, about 8 arcseconds per pixel, ISO 800.

We should document everything nicely soon. There's nothing really new here, it's the same modification that is made to an EQ3-2 handset except we only care about RA guiding corrections, the mount appears as an ASCOM Telescope (with radically reduced capabilities). The only new thing, I guess, is the polar alignment script that zeros you in to the NCP. And the chutzpah.

Any Southern hemisphere users out there to try out a Southern version?

Beautiful :D

The whole thing fits into a rucksack: laptop, mains (and 12V) adaptor, EQ1, mini-tripod legs, counterweight and bar, finder/guider, webcam, handcontroller, motor and battery unit. assorted cables, gloves, hat, red head torch, thermos flask!

We should document everything nicely soon. There's nothing really new here, it's the same modification that is made to an EQ3-2 handset except we only care about RA guiding corrections, the mount appears as an ASCOM Telescope (with radically reduced capabilities). The only new thing, I guess, is the polar alignment script that zeros you in to the NCP. And the chutzpah.

Any Southern hemisphere users out there to try out a Southern version?

Looking forward to the write up, I'm going to shoehorn an arduino nano into the handset of my eq2

I'm going to put up one of these Polar Alignment plots we produce to show you how we visualise the polar alignment error. The red X shows where your equatorial axis is pointing and the blue circles are centered around the NCP now (the green one is centered around the NCP in 2000).

post-13420-133877736369_thumb.jpg

Another quick 100% crop of a 4 minute exposure from last night (with clouds!), this time with a 55mm lens, about 19 arcsecond per pixel declination is about 10 degrees.

But first, what Pecprep thinks of my long guiding run from another night, RMS error about 1 arcsecond!!!

post-13420-133877739571_thumb.jpg

post-13420-133877739574_thumb.png

Archived