Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FUNcube Dongle Pro SDR

tried my large house aerial , the cheap thing that came with device, and no end of software.

have the right chipset and receiver, all plugged in.

truth is :

i got more chance receiving a signal while wearing a tinfoil hat standing naked in the rain lol.

than using this dvb dongle and no amount of software.

dongle is in the odd's and sod's box now. i gave up with it. what with my voice being picked up by the dongle, and the 10 different sdr radio gui's, the 200 mins browsing google,

it still does not work even doing everything to the book all the dots and crosses.

SDR is not as simple as it sounds, stick with your stock dab radio is my advice,

and/or join a ham radio/astronomy club.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i got the rtl2832U chipset working.

you have to, really dig deep, alot of software just clashes and does not work. but i found a dev build of the SDR sharp (nightly build) that holds the rtl2832U.dll

windows does a few sly moves and installs drivers to both the chipsets onboard, 0 is the receiver and 1 is the IR remote function. you need to download the winusb driver with ExtIO for the device named 0, no need to download drivers for device 1

then when you load the nightly build of SDR#, the dropdown give you the rtl2832U selection to choose.

the stock antenna is near on useless to be honest, but it can be used for WFM signals, when used with a telescopic RC handset aerial ( female socket screw) screwed onto the stock aerial base. now i need to build a larger antenna in the roof [removed word]e at the moment i am being swamped with FM signals, i am even picking them up via AM frequency

i attached a JPG screenshot showing an fm broadcast station, using the nightly build of SDR and with rtl2832U showing in the front end dropdown (left side panel)

post-16869-0-24370600-1339849783_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Chaps - sorry to bring back this thread....... but i'm on another learning curve......

Bought myself a radio scanner (for my RAF stalking trips).

On the link that Danielle had kindly provided, I assume I just enter these into my scanner & it works the same as ground frequency transmissions ??

I've bought a Grecom PSR-925 (if that makes any difference).

Currently listening to Coventry airport & Birmingham inbounds from this side.

• 4 weeks later...

Chaps - sorry to bring back this thread....... but i'm on another learning curve......

Bought myself a radio scanner (for my RAF stalking trips).

On the link that Danielle had kindly provided, I assume I just enter these into my scanner & it works the same as ground frequency transmissions ??

I've bought a Grecom PSR-925 (if that makes any difference).

Currently listening to Coventry airport & Birmingham inbounds from this side.

yup you want the 2m bandwave ( ISS carrys a 10w ham radio)

then its just sit and wait for a passover. a directional antenna will help you track the ISS as is scoots across the sky.

time wise as danielle mentions is around 10 mins max. and could be shorter depending on the angle of dangle the ISS is at.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the RTL chipset dongle and I have used it for 2 things.

Meteor detection connecting it to a HB9CV and tuned to 143.049 Mhz (GRAVES) and also when connected to a home made QFH I have had it downloading satellite images from the NOAA polar orbiting satellites (three frequencies, 137.100 137.620 and 137.912.5 Mhz) Had very good results considering the dongle was only approx £25

Used Speclab for meteor detection and APT Decoder or WXTOIMG to capture weather satellites.

All good fun and not too hard to do once you understand what the heck is going on

(and Dev version of SDR radio is what you need to drive the dongle)

Dave

• 3 months later...

I have built me little meteor station and get some peaks you can view my speclab screens

http://middlesbroughmeteor.bounce.to/

Using RTL-SDR R820t chip dongle works great very addictive :)

took some doing setting up sdrsharpe build and ppm frequency offset

thats simple to do now once you know how i recommend use your local volmet weather repeater station usually 126.600mhz and tune to Zero beat on usb mode will get you correct frequency.

then it's G-r-a-v-e-s 143.049 for meteor detection

Belgian stations on 49.970 and 49.990 tune norminally 1khz below for usb pings

also they the Iceland tv station on 62.252.

Thanks to Martin from Spam networks he helped set my station up and set me speclab settings.

Archived