Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Linux astronomy software

ronnietucker

Here's my list so far:

(obviously it's subjective to me, a beginner)

Linux Apps:

Stellarium - SKY MAP - Stellarium

SkyChart - SKY MAP - start [skychart]

Kstars - SKY MAP - edu.kde.org/kstars/

XEphem - SKY MAP - XEphem 3.7.5

Celestia - SPACE SIM - Celestia: Home

OpenUniverse - SPACE SIM - openuniverse

AstroStack (Java) - IMAGE STACKING - Welcome to AstroStack - Astronomy image stacking software download freeware demo

ImageJ - IMAGE STACKING - ImageJ

AVIstack - IMAGE STACKING - http://www.avistack.de/

OpenPHD - SCOPE CONTROL - open-phd-guiding - Open PHD Guiding for Linux - Google Project Hosting

Device Control Device - “ - Device Control Device

Windows Apps (run in Wine):

Registax 6 - IMAGE STACKING - RegiStax- Free image processing software

(Free) Android Apps I Use:

Google Sky Map - SKY MAP - http://goo.gl/ryhaV

SkEye - SKY MAP - http://goo.gl/KY5Xt

Astro Panel - ASTROLOGY WEATHER - http://goo.gl/HXS1a

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disturbed by the number of Windows comments ... but anyway, I use Xephem.

Its good for showing you where stuff is, calculating where stuff will be, and charting nice alignments/groupings.

Its an uber-astro-calculator, so you need to use your imagination to start to scratch its surface. Here's some ideas:

Find the shortest day from your backyard and elevation?

What height will the sun achieve in the sky from your backgarden?

When will the next grouping of 4 planets happen within 20 degrees of sky?

There's a whole magazine in getting to grips with it!

I've only just installed XEphem and yet to tinker with it.

If any Debian/Ubuntu users need a .deb file let me know and I'll upload one for you. I converted an RPM to a DEB for easy installing (no compiling of source!).

Well if you're offering could you make a packagebuild and put it in the AUR? :)

Well if you're offering could you make a packagebuild and put it in the AUR? :angry4:

If I knew what an AUR was I'd consider it. :)

I hate compiling code and what-not, so (just to clarify) the .deb I have is a (fully working and installable) butcher job using Alien to convert from RPM to DEB :icon_eek:

If I knew what an AUR was I'd consider it. :)

I hate compiling code and what-not, so (just to clarify) the .deb I have is a (fully working and installable) butcher job using Alien to convert from RPM to DEB :icon_eek:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

https://aur.archlinux.org/

Arch is without doubt the best distro i've ever used. Sure, i wouldn't recommend it for beginners (not sure what i would now actually. I still think Mint 7 was the easiest distro for windows users to come across to, but alas - none can withstand the relentless force of progress :angry4:). But everything works so beautifully... and you can see how it works.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

https://aur.archlinux.org/

Arch is without doubt the best distro i've ever used. Sure, i wouldn't recommend it for beginners (not sure what i would now actually. I still think Mint 7 was the easiest distro for windows users to come across to, but alas - none can withstand the relentless force of progress :angry4:). But everything works so beautifully... and you can see how it works.

I'm not sure if they'd accept my DEB file as it's not the most cleanly built package. They have standards, I don't. :)

I've uploaded it to my DropBox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1195406/xephem_3.7.2-2_i386.deb

Feel free (anyone) to download it, put it in repos, what-ever :icon_eek:

Probably the easiest distro for people to try is still Mint. I personally prefer KDE and use Kubuntu (Kubuntu | Friendly Computing), but there is now a Linux Mint 12 KDE that was released just last week.

Yeah, i tried out Cinnamon on Arch a few days ago. It's alright, definitely better than Ubuntu. But it just doesn't have the polish that Gloria had.

/nostalgia :)

It used to be the case that almost all DEs/WMs were fine, it's really just personal preference. But to find out your own preference a new Linux user should almost always start with Gnome. That's pretty much gone to pot since the release of 3.0 though :icon_eek:

Yeah, i tried out Cinnamon on Arch a few days ago. It's alright, definitely better than Ubuntu. But it just doesn't have the polish that Gloria had.

/nostalgia :angry4:

It used to be the case that almost all DEs/WMs were fine, it's really just personal preference. But to find out your own preference a new Linux user should almost always start with Gnome. That's pretty much gone to pot since the release of 3.0 though :(

I love Ubuntu as the basis for a distro (eg: Kubuntu) but I'd never recommend it (with Unity) to a new user, it's just too confusing!

I've always been a KDE kinda guy but moved away from it (to Gnome 2) when 4.0 came out, it was a disaster! But since it reached 4.5 it's been back to its good old self. Wouldn't touch Gnome3 with a barge pole as it's just as weird as Unity. :)

Only thing I don't like about Mint is that it doesn't easily do an upgrade through the package manager. It is possible, but they recommend doing a backup (backup? :icon_eek: Who does backups?!) and a fresh install.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that i actually was a Gnome 3 user until last week. Sure, i can see why people hate it - but i could actually use it without many problems. Plus the top left corner flick thing felt cool. But then everything started falling apart around me. Starting with the disappearance of half the icons and backgrounds, and any fullscreen apps not working properly due to the top panel. I spent ages trying to fix them but there comes a point when you just give up. So i'm in XFCE now, 4.8 has come a long way. But the main thing holding that back is the panel. It's just ugly, not very functional and there's not much you can do to make it better. So i'm using AWN (yes, i know there are less bloaty panels out there but what the hell - shiny) :)

Who needs to upgrade when you stay on Gloria forever? :icon_eek:

Seriously though, that would be an awesome fork.

My problem with Ubuntu's move to Unity and to a certain extent Gnome 3 is that I don't want other people dictating how I work, and I don't want to have to get the hang of a new user interface. Time spent doing that is time I can't be earning money. And you know what? I don't care if I'm "doing it wrong". It's the way I compartmentalise my work and the jobs I have to do.

If I was happy to accept people dictating my UI to me then I'd probably be a Windows user :)

James

Quite agree James! I'm using Mint 9 which I like and see no reason to change. I was considering trying the latest Mint on CD but really can't be bothered :) "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I've only just installed XEphem and yet to tinker with it.

If any Debian/Ubuntu users need a .deb file let me know and I'll upload one for you. I converted an RPM to a DEB for easy installing (no compiling of source!).

Well if you're offering could you make a packagebuild and put it in the AUR? :)

Note that while XEphem is free for personal and educational use, it's not free-as-in-free-speech and most (all?) Linux distros won't accept it in their repositories due to the license. See the "Terms and Facts" here:

http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/download.html

The AUR isn't the official repository, it's the Arch User Repository. You can add whatever to it, there's paid games in there that you can prove that you own (mainly humble bundle stuff from what i've seen).

Besides, Ubuntu was really the main distro that was really selective of packages due to their license. And it's not really as strict any more. Most others seem to have the official flash plugin, sun java and proprietary drivers in the main repo as standard.

I've tried stellarium on ubuntu, it was ok, that's about it, had a little look at openPHD, it compiled but didn't work, as it had windows naming conventions for com ports and no way to enter the naming conventions that linux likes to use. The biggest issue I've found with any of it is drivers for kit.

So I think whilst it's great that you're comiling apps. that work in linux, how about hardware and which drivers you used to make it happen?

if I can blow my own trumpet for a moment: "Gonzo" and I have created a Linux script that measures your equatorial mount's polar alignment (PA) error given two images of the NCP area. It can be used to fine tune the PA in all kinds of situations but the intended use was for cheap portable mounts that don't have polarscopes.

eq-polar-alignment - Rosedale Photo Polar Alignment - Google Project Hosting

Any feedback welcome.

Looks very interesting - worth a try :) Now we just need some clear nights!...

clear nights... yes please !!!!

Spent so many evenings setting up everything, testing the script(s) and when you're all set... guess what's coming.... clouds :icon_scratch:

I must say that the script we've done is Da Bomb :)

We would really appreciate if many Linux users download it and try it.

Do check the requirement page before you say: it's not working....:D

We need feedback on the script please.

I think that you're missing one of the best apps around - Aladin. Download the Java app rather than running the web-app. Only downside is it requires a net connection to pull the information down from Strasbourg university.

Archived