Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Losmandy vs Vixen

dmahon

I've recently bought a dual mounting bar. I'd rather only buy things once, so I've bought what I think is a good one and gone with an ADM Losmandy style bar with dual Losmandy/Vixen saddles. This has also entailed me getting a new saddle for my HEQ5, which I hope will arrive soon.

Losmandy plates do look more sturdy than Vixen plates, but I have just mounted my Equinox 80 on a WO dovetail that I obtained fom Astro Buy/Sell. This is very substantial. I was going to get a long Losmandy plate for my Equinox 120, but I am wondering if it actually has much benefit compared to a long WO Vixen plate? The WO dovetail does have the advantage that bolts don't protrude beneath the base.

capsecum,

Basically, the Losmandy is wider than the Vixen/Synta. That is, looking at your computer screen as a rectangle, draw an imaginary line across the middle L to R, then you'd have roughly 2 Vixen styles.

Alas there is no info about dimensions, you need to get hold of an example and measure it yourself. 2mins with a ruler, obviously too strenuous for some!

Basically a Vixen dovetail is 1.75 inches wide

A losmandy dovetail is a little over 3 inches wide :icon_salut:

A different beast :)

Just out of interest which tube rings did you use on your Equinox 80 and do you have any images by any chance?

Alas there is no info about dimensions, you need to get hold of an example and measure it yourself. 2mins with a ruler, obviously too strenuous for some!

After a spot of Googling, I couldn't find any 'formal' specification of the two dovetail systems.

However I did find this cross section diagram for the Losmandy D dovetail: http://www.rainerehlert.com/astro/Losmandy/DMM.pdf

For the Vixen dovetail, the only detail I could find was on the ADM Accessories site which states: The bar is approximately 1.72” wide with a 12 degree dovetail angle.

My god, I just lifted the ADM-Losmandy-dual-mount-bar-with-dual-saddles box off the desk - it's almost 4Kg! That's more than my OTA.

I don't know if my mount will stand it - I was pushing it a bit to 70% capacity with my plans for two OTAs and cameras/filterwheel, but with the dual mount bar taking up 20% of the capacity alone, I may have to return it until I get a permanent observatory setup and bigger mount.

Sounds a bit like a problem I suffered when vrious 'Losmandy' size parts made by different manufacturers diid not fit together.

I dropped a line to all the manufacturers and distributors concerned hoping to get pointed in the direction of a specification.

The only reply was from a very helpful ADM. The spec does not seem to exist!

They did though send me a copy of one of their drawings.

so as far as I am concerned, ADM is the size standard. All my kit is made to fit.

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/40067d1281098354-losmandy-dovetail-size-problem-dup7.pdf

As for a Vixen standard. sorry can't help there.

Basically a Vixen dovetail is 1.75 inches wide

A losmandy dovetail is a little over 3 inches wide :icon_salut:

A different beast :)

Just out of interest which tube rings did you use on your Equinox 80 and do you have any images by any chance?

Nice and simple for the newbie - thanks

I use the GEOPTIK dual bar with an ED80/SM60DS and a "Modified" Meade 90/880mm refractor - one is my Ha solar scope the other a modded PST.

I've just built a Herschel solar wedge and will be mounting the Vixen A80Mf on the dual bar for white light observing. I use an HEQ5pro.

ADM Losmandy to Vixen warning; I really don't like this adapter. It pinches only the bottom of the Vixen rail and seems to come up tight, but leave it, let the temp change, and it is no longer tight. Once, despite serious tightening, my Tak FSQ and camera had 'walked' on their Vixen rail down the adapter during the two weeks of moon layoff. I use a security stop-bolt in the rail but it still gave me an almighty shock.

Olly

My god, I just lifted the ADM-Losmandy-dual-mount-bar-with-dual-saddles box off the desk - it's almost 4Kg!

Yes I was shocked at how heavy it was. We have one on the EQ6 and I wanted to get one for the HEQ5 we were getting. Hubbie suggested that it might be too heavy and that I should look at getting the vixen version. After checking the weight of the dual saddle one, I did go for the vixen one. It still feels nice and solid but is substantially lighter!

Archived