Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are Seben telescopes good quality

Hi all,

Its as the title says.

Are Seben telescopes good quality.

Everyone bangs on about the Skywatcher's etc, but not heard anything about a Seben.

Looking at the 8" reflector, about £350.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

I have never looked through one but based on feedback of others there's much better quality options for the same sort of money. when buying gear always think about the potential for future sale as if you remain in the hobby it is common to sell on to purchase the next upgrade. with Seben's reputation it would be hard to shift in these circumstances.

Hi,

I have absolutely no experience with Seben scopes, however I do have a Seben Lab Grade microscope and it is excellent! So just because some products are poor doesn't always follow that ALL products are.

Same goes with Bushnell, really good bino's but telescopes??...No thanks!

If you stick to Skywatcher, Celestron, Meade, Williams, Tal, Vixen, Orion (maybe) you won't go far wrong. They seem to be the market leaders for amateurs and offer good performance for your money.

I have a friend who unfortunately bought a seben 114 reflector from eBay and did not get along with it at all. When he compared it to the sky watcher 130p I had at the time, although my aperture was a bit more, the differences far outweighed the 16mm of aperture. Never tried seben myself, but would steer clear due to only hearing negative things about them.

I am looking at buying a scope and saw the Seben scopes on ebay which look good value. After a few google searches I found stories of bits falling off, bad support and sellers with no knowledge of the product. There are other brands on ebay with great specs on paper but look suspicious on closer inspection. The brand that made me laugh is called 'Opticon', how apt lol.

Hi there

I a word NO

In several words they are complete rubbish.

My first scope was a Seben and it is so bad I refuse to sell it on.

My simple advice is leave well alone and get the Skywatcher.

Totally agree.

And I have one sat in my loft for the very same reason. In fact i even tried to give it away to the local astro society as a loaner.

Archived