Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ 5 netbook shelf

red dwalf

hi all, i`m now using EQmod with Stellarium and my netbook and a wireless Xbox controller which is working great.

but i had the problem of where to put the netbook when observing, i could of course put it on a table but with all the other stuff i use it kept getting in the way and once going i rearly need to do anything to it, so i made a little shelf which i think fits neatly out of the way.

so heres the pictures. any and all comments welcome.

post-15805-133877722585_thumb.jpg

post-15805-133877722593_thumb.jpg

post-15805-1338777226_thumb.jpg

post-15805-133877722607_thumb.jpg

Nicely done addition !

Manfrotto make a shelf, arm etc that does the same thing but you REALLY don't want to see the price, you'd certainly have a lot more money left for lager after making one and a much bigger grin of satisfaction :)

even though your idea is very clever and keeps the whole equipment tidy, i have my doubts when it comes at an astrophotography session. If you touch the computer then the vibrations will be transferred at the mount and the photo/guide will be ruined. i suggest two legs at the bottom of the wood to make it more stable.

even though your idea is very clever and keeps the whole equipment tidy, i have my doubts when it comes at an astrophotography session. If you touch the computer then the vibrations will be transferred at the mount and the photo/guide will be ruined. i suggest two legs at the bottom of the wood to make it more stable.

Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that either.

very good point, but this was just for the netbook to use EQmod and a wireless xbox controller for adjustments to control the mount with stellarium software.

when i`m imaging i use a bigger dell windows xp laptop which works well, when i`m just up for visual it`s no problem at all.

the netbook also has a better battery so doesn`t need mains power when out in the field on longer nights.

I think there is plenty of ways not touch laptop during photo session. For example wireless keyboard. And if extra keyboard is to much to carry to the field, then wireless mouse and on-screen keyboard wouldn't be a problem.

Archived