Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser pointers

Richp

Hi all,

As we are hosting an upcoming star party and starting a new astronomy club, we were wondering if anyone could recommend a decent green laser pointer. we have bought a couple from amazon but they were extremely unreliable to be honest.

Cheers,

Rich

Don't try eBay either, they are rubbish there as well.

I have been recommended Green Laser Pointer

They are overspec types, ie 50mw is 50mw+ and many users over at the laserpointerforums recommend them.

Most eBay and Amazon(trade partners - mee ripoff merchants) who sell as 50mw when they are infact well underspec and most probably 1mw rebadged. I brought 2 50mw pointers of eBay 2 months ago and I slid batteries in and got a good beam for 10seconds then they both failed never to work again and the eBay does not respond to after-sales emails.

For my next ones I am off to DIY 50mW 532nm Green Laser Module and will build the module into an old finder scope body.

Odicforce, recommended by Woking above, is a responsible UK dealer and will happily sell you a Class 3B, 5mW pointer, which is the really the maximum you should envisage anyway (it's the legal maximum in the U.S. for example and responsibly used will not give amateur astronomy a bad name).

The other dealers mentioned above are the sort of offshore merchants who unfortunately are likely to cause a total ban on the import and use of ALL laser pointers (UK and EU legislators are circling like eagles as we talk).

If you still want to import from the Guernsey company mentioned in the post above, be aware that you have until April 1st to do so at the given prices, at which point HM.R.C. removes Low Value Consignment Relief on goods imported from the Channel Islands in order to close out a long-standing VAT evasion scam. About time too i.m.h.o., but that's going off topic.

My 10 cents.

Lasers, can be a useful tool in astronomy, as an aid to identifying an object in the night sky, but only when used sensibly.

Unfortunately that rarely is the case, and in the hands of abeit a minority number, they are misused, and if aircraft are in the vicinity, you are inviting intervention from the police.

They are banned at The forthcoming SGL Official star party in March.

Ron.

Would just like to extend the invitation to your group to come along to any of the Barr Beacon MeteorWatch sessions - www.walsall.gov.uk/meteorwatch - would love to have some more experts as I'm afraid I'm just a very enthusiastic amateur who loves the stars and enjoys standing on hills in the middle of the night. :-)

Morgan (Senior Countryside Ranger for Barr Beacon)

Arguably one doesn't need anything more powerful than 5mw for scope mounted use because one is looking at the beam close to ON Axis. However for the OP's purposes unless we are talking 2 or 3 people standing right beside him, then a higher power laser would be more appropriate. 15-20mw would be more than enough for the beam to be seen by those at the edge of the group perhaps 20ft away. (Assuming the laser is kept warm. They are much fainter when cold or don't work at all) I got my 10mw from Wickedlasers

Here in the U.S. 5mw is the top legal limit, if I understand the law. However, several people I know have purchased Chinese lasers which are notibly brighter than the certified 5mw unit I bought from Celestron. So far, I am not aware of anyone being arrested for using a laser, no matter how bright, at a star party. But there have been numerous reports of lasers being used to interfere with a pilot's ability to land or take off airplanes.

We have both an air traffic controller, and a certified Commercial Jet Pilot in our club membership. The subject comes up, quite often !

Jim S

It's not the batteries. For some reason these green laser diodes are cold sensitive. If you warm them back up again they should resume functioning. You could try insulating it: Making your green laser COLD PROOF and run @ 100% - Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Lasers & Laser Pointers or just keep it in your pocket when not in use.

Always make sure that others around you are ok with lasers. They are often banned at star parties because it's easy to ruin the night vision of others with them: hitting any nearby solid object will do it right away. They also can potentially disrupt AP. However, they are really useful for showing a group of newcomers around the sky.

Archived