Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

32mm or 24mm eyepiece Celestron C8 SCT

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

trevscope

trevscope

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 5 posts
Hello all,
I am looking for a low magnification, widefield eyepiece for use on a Celestron C8 SCT f/10, using the 1.25" diagonal - I don't want to get into the realms of 2" eyepieces. I was looking at the Celestron 32mm Plossl, but with its 52 degree AFOV, it would give a true field of view of 0.82 degrees; bearing this in mind, a 24mm Baader Hyperion with its 68 AFOV gives a true field of view of 0.8 degrees. So to me, they would both show the same 'patch of sky' but the Hyperion would do it with a greater magnification, and so would be preferable - or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Trev

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 24,674 posts
You've got it Trev. 24mm wide field eyepieces do show as much sky as 32mm "standard field" eyepieces like plossls.

The extra magnification helps darken the background sky a little which can help pick out fainter deep sky objects.

John

Scopes: 4" to 12"

Mounts: Alt-az and EQ

Eyepieces: 3mm to 31mm

Filters: A couple

" ...The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, and not how well made it is, it is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look though it…. "

John Dobson, 1915-2014   

trevscope

trevscope

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 5 posts
Thanks for that John, Hyperion it is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users