SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the horse head nebula a visual target?

WayBig

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen it with a 12" and Lumicon UHC filter from a dark site. I tried many times with an 8" and same filter at the same site and never managed.

Worth a try from a light-polluted site as long as you use a filter (not OIII, one that transmits H-beta), put a cloth over your head to shut out all light, and give your eye at least twenty minutes to adjust, keeping the scope aimed at the right spot throughout.

I've seen it visual, with a 12" f5 from a very dark rural site.

It's pretty small, low contrast and easily missed.

If you can't see the nebulae around the Seven Sisters...I don't think you'll see the HH.

The seven sisters are just stars for me, perhaps I'll wait til i get to a darker site.

I live at a site with maybe a Mag 7 zenith and have a 20 inch Dob. We're at 3000 feet, too. I could see a dark notch in what might just have been nebulosity but I'm no spring chicken and my eyes aren't that good. The younger ones present were far more confident that they could see it. In a nutshell it really is a hard target.

Olly

I'm heading for Strontian in the Highlands of Scotland on Thursday, it's top of my list to try and observe from the dark skies they have there, I plan to spend all night if needed :) I have a h-beta filter also, I'm very hopeful, weather permitting.

Good luck and keep trying.

Good luck with it. And if you feel like the ultimate challenge then try the nearby NGC 1990, a large reflection nebula around the central star of Orion's belt. Opinion is divided as to whether it even exists.

It was late last night when I got out, clouds cleared at 2am and and Orion too low and behind a large hill, spent a good 2 hours in Leo and Virgo area viewing many galaxies and clusters.

Tonight at 19.30 I had a look at The Horsehead, the Flame Nebula was only just visible, and I mean barely, I looked for 30 mins using the h-beta filter, I saw the stars where the Horsehead is located but then the fog came over. Tomorrow looks good weather with clear skies all night. I hope....

Compared to the horsehead, the flame nebula is an east target. I've seen the horsehead through a skyliner 200 from dark site on an exceptionally clear night. From same site with bigger scopes on different might nothing. Sky conditions play a big part in whether you'll see it. Also saw it from the same site with a Skywatcher st150 f5 achromatic refractor. All observations required the h beta filter.

I have never seen it with a 10" from the edge of town. I only have a basic LPR filter at the moment though but even then I have only made out hints of the flame neb once and I am note sure if I imagined that. I can definitely see some faint nebulosity in the Pleiades though.

I made this sketch (from memory - too cold & windy to sketch at the eyepiece) of the Horsehead while observing with Jon as described in Astroninja's post above.

I could make out the Flame Nebula in my 100mm binoscope but no sign of IC434 and the horsehead. Through Jon's 12" (and Garry's 10" on a later night) and with a H-Beta filter, it is readily visible. Obviously these observations are from a dark sky site rather than from a town. As it is a very tenuous object, any light pollution will kill it off.

Good luck - and clear, dark skies

post-15958-133877724226_thumb.jpg

Wow , nice drawing.Tried for this and will continue, we can see all the nebulosity around, but not the notch.

Seeing conditions are so important, even over the course of an hour . I'll always think of the Western Isles. On a crisp night with no Moon it's very difficult to make out constellations, there are so many stars, clusters and nebulae.

Hopefully this year won't have 10 days rain.

Thinking back a few weeks, the sketch is two fields of view across - ie best to look at either flame or IC434.

Furthermore, I believe trying to get a 5mm exit pupil gives the best effect for the H-beta filter. If I recall correctly there was an article a few years ago by Barbara Wilson about her "magic eyepiece" that brought out the horsehead to maximum effect.

Mark

I have glimpsed it with a Hb filter from a good but not perfect dark site...

I wouldn't say it was awe inspiring view - more I knew it was there and could detect it - would like to see what a really dark site and this filter can do as using it was clearly the difference than not or other filters I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived