Narrowband

AZ4 assembly problem

Tyr

Good evening all,

I've got a problem I was hoping some fellow AZ4 owners could help me with.

The AZ4 mount I ordered arrived today and I've just had a go at unboxing and assembling it. There weren't any instructions but it has very few parts and so was pretty self evident.

However I've encountered a problem with the panning handle, the thread on the end of the handle appears to be a different size to the threading and hole provided to screw it into.

I'm assuming from all the pictures I've seen it is supposed to screw into the hole next to the dove tail gripping screw.

I thought it might just be a bit of paint at first but I quickly realised that trying to screw it in was resulting in lots of metal shavings and stopped before I ruined the thread on the hole I was trying to screw it into.

My question is

Is it supposed to screw in here and the thread is wrong ie a manufacturing fault?

or am I missing something obvious?

or is there some kind of adapter part I've not found?

The two attached pictures show the contents of the mount head box and how I think the handle is supposed to go in

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tyr

post-26127-13387771378_thumb.jpg

post-26127-133877713786_thumb.jpg

You are using the correct hole for the panning handle. Perhaps the hole or the end of the handle have not been threaded properly during manufacture ?.

Mine fits OK but I don't use the handle in practice as I found it gets in the way when observing. I pan by holding the bottom of the scope.

Thanks John

Following that confirmation I had another go, after unscrewing the filler screw in the second panning handle hole and having trouble putting it back in I realised it's threaded to go in at an angle which wasn't apparant from any of the side on pictures I'd seen.

Doh, at least I stopped first time before I'd done any damage.

It's all nicely together now phew, time to go out and do some cloud spotting.

Tyr

Glad that's sorted - who writes the instructions you get with these things eh :(

The AZ-4 is an excellent mount though - a 6" f/5 newt would be a nice scope to use with one. There was one on UK AB&S earlier at just £100 but my other half has reminded me of my 3 scope limit - she is good like that :o

So far I've only got about a half hours use of it, looking at jupiter through light cloud. But it was enough to get the telrad and finder aligned and get some practice moving the mount around.

I think I'm going to need to source some counter weight magnets or something to put on the underside of the tube to counter balance the wieght of the finder and EPs as after about 20 degrees it just falls backwards meaning I have to have the dec clutch so tight I can't really move the mount as smoothly as I'd like at the moment.

Tyr

Thats a nice looking setup you've got there.

I'm hoping to get some proper first light with mine tonight, although I've yet to sort out a solution to vertical balance problem.

I've only managed to get a couple of 15 minute between or through cloud sessions so far since I got it.

The Mak still has a telrad attached to the top with electrical tape while I make sure I'm comfortable with the possition of the telrad, so it's not very photogenic right now :icon_scratch:

Need to sort out a good target list for tonight

Tyr

Archived