SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200P Confusion

Hello all,

I was wondering whether you could answer a few quick questions regarding the Skywatcher Explorer 200P telescope.

I want the Skywatcher Explorer 200P on the EQ5 GOTO mount with SynScan. I can see on the First Light Optics website that there is this telescope: First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO and First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P OTA this one.

The first one is priced at £815 and the second when I select the EQ5 PRO GOTO mount is £761. Why is there a difference in price? Are these two different mounts or telescopes? Is the £761 price because it's OTA?

If I want to buy the telescope plus the EQ5 GOTO SynScan mount is it the £815 one? Am I right in thinking this mount is the one that provides full GOTO capabilities?

Also, what is the difference between the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO and the Skywatcher Explorer 200P HEQ5 PRO? Is it worth the extra money to get the HEQ5 PRO upgrade?

I'm getting a bit confused here. I want the type of motorised mount that has the SynScan technology so I can get the telescope to point at objects I select [i know it isn't that simple and it requires setup etc.]. I just don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

Sorry if this is sounding a bit confusing.

Thanks!

Can't for the life of me spot why there would be such a difference in price, at first glance anyway (although I could be having a simple brain-freeze! :)). Best bet would be to drop FLO an email and see what they have to say.

The HEQ5 is a more stable platform than the EQ5, and better primarily because of increased load capacity. Even though the name HEQ5 almost implies it is a beefed-up EQ5, in reality it is more of a slimmed-down EQ6, having much the same innards.

For purely visual stuff, the EQ5 is probably fine, but if you want to go down the astro imaging route, you would want the extra stability and load capacity the HEQ5 provides, and even then the HEQ5 is probably pushing at its limit with a biggish newt like the 200p. Indeed, many people would probably advise the NEQ6 to use with the 200p for imaging purposes. Horses for courses really. :)

Thanks for the replies. Still a bit confused here... Thinking of getting the HEQ5 mount for the 200P.

There again seems to be a price difference (though not such a big one). If I buy the telescope and mount all in one then it costs £1030: First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P HEQ5 PRO

But if I buy the mount and telescope separately it comes to £747 + £275 = £1022. First Light Optics - Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan and First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P OTA

These price differences are making me a little hesitant. I don't want to end up paying more than I needed to! I've also seen this scope on a few other sites for cheaper but they've been given mixed reviews on this site so I'm not sure whether to risk it.

Oh and I've dropped FLO an email, waiting for a response.

• 3 years later...

Came across this post over google. Was wondering what did you go for in the end and if you did get the skwatcher 200p with HEQ5 how is it because i am myself thinking of getting that scope and mount to try my hand at imaging. Or if anyone else got a suggestion on which scope and mount to go for.

Archived