Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DIY Polar Scope Illuminator

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Zaphod360

Zaphod360

Star Forming

• Members
  • 160 posts
After reading lots of different threads on here and on tinterweb I thought I'd have a go at making a polar scope illuminator for my EQ5 mount.

This is what I came up with:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I'm going from memory as I didn't keep my receipts, but this is what I used:

LED - Maplin Code: CK46A
3 AA Battery Holder - Maplin Code: YR61R
Enclosure - Maplin Code: KC91Y
Switch - Maplin Code: FH94C
Pipe fitting - B&Q 34mm push fit pipe fitting

Total cost is around £8

I removed the pipe fitting nut and turned it around, when tight this would give me a larger area to fix the battery enclosure. The pipe was then cut to length (approx 37mm past the nut). I filed a flat on the bottom of the pipe, again to help with fixing the battery enclosure.

I drilled a hole through the enclosure and another through the bottom of the pipe fitting for the LED.

Posted Image

This shows the arrangement of the batteries etc.

The LED is 5v but with three 1.2v rechargeable AA's it will illuminate dimly. With some trial and error I routed the LED up into the pipe and masked with insulation tape.

Posted Image

The LED needs to point away from the polar scope or it will be too bright.

A couple of wraps of insulation tape on the end of the pipe fitting gives a secure fitment when slotted into the end of the polar scope (see pics above).

I've tested this out when the moon is nearly full and can still see Polaris through the illuminated scope clearly. It keeps both hands free for easier alignment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some of the links I used for inspiration:

Polarscope LED Installation
Telescope Reviews: DIY Polar Scope Illuminator using PVC

bigal1

bigal1

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 919 posts
Thats a nice neat mod well done , i kind of made a temporary one which is just a small led and a few button cell batteries connected to a switch which all sits inside the polar scope housing but your mod is a lot more elegant so i'll sure have a go at your method thanks a lot for posting ;)
Skywatcher ED80 Pro
Canon 1000D
CG-4 + motors

Website www.alanstro.com

Broady67

Broady67

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 9 posts
Hi, I have just bought the list of components to make the illuminator but then realised i have no knowledge of how to put it together. Looking at the parts i have i am not sure if i am missing something? Do i need to solder anything when assembling it please?:)
Andy

Zaphod360

Zaphod360

Star Forming

• Members
  • 160 posts
Yes you'll need to solder your wires onto the LED, I kind of made this up as I went along, so sorry if this isn't very technical. I got some wire and connected them to the battery box. I ran one to the switch, another from the switch to the LED, then one back from the LED to the battery box. The feed to the LED only goes one way so make sure you check this before soldering. You'll need some 'heat shrink' sleeving to protect the soldered joints and stop them shorting out. I made sure I had plenty of spare wire to be able to align everything in the box.

I'm posting this from my iPhone, if I can think of any more details I'll add them tomorrow.

Hope this helps, this little illuminator has become one of my favourite tools, it makes setting up so much easier, good luck.
Celestron CPC 1100
WO 2" Diagonal
SW Aero 40mm, Panaview 32mm & 26mm, WO 20mm SWAN.
Circle-T Orthos: 7mm, 9mm, 12.5mm & 18mm
Messier's 49/110

oldturk

oldturk

Nebula

• New Members
  • 16 posts
an excellent idea, much along the lines of the instrument your GP uses to look in your ears. I have one hand holding the red LED torch shining into the polarscope and the other doing the adjustments - egad!
C9.25 on CG5, motorised focus,DBK 21, Skyshed POD, homemade Baader solar filter.Focal reducer, Barlow 2x.

Bizibilder

Bizibilder

Super Giant

• Moderators
  • 13,977 posts
The led you used LED must have an inbuilt resistor? - if not it will fail immediately. If you make one of these check on the web for an appropriate resistor value (Google "led resistor").
Have a look here: Optoelectronics and scroll down to the led selection/developement kit about half way down the page for a cheap selection of suitable bits (usual disclaimer - Bitsbox have given me and others very good service over the years).

Edited by Bizibilder, 04 December 2011 - 12:10 PM.

Roger

A few bits and pieces that live in a green shed in the garden.

http://bizibilder.blogspot.com For Pics of Observatory and other little gems!

Zaphod360

Zaphod360

Star Forming

• Members
  • 160 posts
The one listed above does have an in built resistor, I forgot to mention.
Celestron CPC 1100
WO 2" Diagonal
Messier's 49/110

Broady67

Broady67

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Yes you'll need to solder your wires onto the LED, I kind of made this up as I went along, so sorry if this isn't very technical. I got some wire and connected them to the battery box. I ran one to the switch, another from the switch to the LED, then one back from the LED to the battery box. The feed to the LED only goes one way so make sure you check this before soldering. You'll need some 'heat shrink' sleeving to protect the soldered joints and stop them shorting out. I made sure I had plenty of spare wire to be able to align everything in the box.

I'm posting this from my iPhone, if I can think of any more details I'll add them tomorrow.

Hope this helps, this little illuminator has become one of my favourite tools, it makes setting up so much easier, good luck.

I think i have figured it out in my head. Please see diagram and if this is not correct will you please indicate one way or the other?
Andy
Attached File  Polar scope illuminator.xls   28KB   105 downloads

Bizibilder

Bizibilder

Super Giant

• Moderators
  • 13,977 posts
Looks OK.

Edited by Bizibilder, 04 December 2011 - 08:04 PM.

Roger

glowjet

glowjet

Sub Giant

• Moderators
  • 9,363 posts
Thats an extremely good idea and well thought out as it is self contained, just as a thought though, you could create the same device without the batteries and use a direct wire connection to your 12v supply using a Maplins LED code CJ66W red standard brightness or CJ70M high brightness, both are 3mm 12v with built in resistors, if you want to vary the illumination then just place a 470 Kohm pot in the circuit and use the same project box and switch, which is what I will do when I get round to making one, thanks for the input :)

Reggie

Reggie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,159 posts
If you want a cheaper solution to this, then look for 'LED tealights' in poundland, poundstretcher etc. They come in packs of 3 or 4 and have everything built in, battery, switch, all you would need would be the pipe fitting and some hot glue.

If you want to dial down the amount of light thumping out of the led, you can use some sandpaper on the outside of the LED to diffuse the light somewhat.

Bizibilder

Bizibilder

Super Giant

• Moderators
  • 13,977 posts
"If you want to dial down the amount of light thumping out of the led, you can use some sandpaper on the outside of the LED to diffuse the light somewhat."

Or paint it with red nail varnish!!!

Roger

Rob L

Rob L

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 370 posts
Love it! Great idea. :)

Holding a torch with one hand, adjusting bolts with the other hand, whilst down on one knee and craning your neck skywards sounds easy until you try it. Much easier with 2 spare hands.
Skywatcher Skymax 127 EQ3-2, Skyliner 250PX Dob.

Reggie

Reggie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,159 posts
Following on from this DIY led theme, Old vitiamin pill bottles and a red led might be useful as an astro freindly lamp, they produce a very diffuse light, and of course using a higher value used in conjunction with the led will allow you to limit the amount of light it chucks out :)

Broady67

Broady67

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 9 posts
Just adding to the all polar scope thread, i have seen somewhere where the grub screws to adjust the scope have been replaced with thumb screws. Has anyone any idea what thread size they are and where to source them from?
Andy

Yosser70

Yosser70

Nebula

• New Members
  • 13 posts
I've just tried to make an illuminator and think I've over done the LED! I hadn't see this thread before I started so I used a 9v LED with a 9v battery. Now having tried to use it I think it might be a bit ott! Does the LED need to be quite dim for it to work properly?

Zaphod360

Zaphod360

Star Forming

• Members
  • 160 posts
Yes, otherwise you can't see Polaris through the red glow, I'm not any good at electronics but a suitable resister or potentiometer should help, you just need someone who can do the calcs to figure out what size.
Celestron CPC 1100
WO 2" Diagonal
Messier's 49/110

Yosser70

Yosser70

Nebula

• New Members
  • 13 posts
Ya I thought I'd gone a bit ott but it'll come in handy as a red light! I've got a few 9v LED's so will try them with lower volt batteries.

DaveT

DaveT

Star Forming

• Members
  • 114 posts
I dont know what celestron were thinking when releasing a polar scope with no back lighting?? Basically you can see nothing without the led. I too have ordered some LED's to make similar to the above, so thanks for the suggestions for construction mate. Im gonna go down the road of 12v Led (pre soldered Resistor) wired through a 470k pot to the 12v supply for the scope. This will let me vary the brightness. I may also fit one to my spotting scope, as it could do with a minimal of back as well

Dave
Please don't shout at me -- i'm only learning LOL
Kit so far :- Canon 550d, 50mm 1.8, 15-55mm, 8-16mm, 55-200mm, 75-300mm, Solar Filters,
Celestron C8-SGT, Celestron filter and eyepiece kit, t mount etc for camera,Polar Axis Scope. Celestron field reducer. Home made power system for scope and heaters.
Home made dew shields and remote cabling for tracking and DSLR control.
Needed :- A break in the weather to let me try my new toy LOL

Zaphod360

Zaphod360

Star Forming

• Members
  • 160 posts
Sounds a lot more refined than mine, you'll have to report back how you get on with it. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users