Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New focuser for C11

The best choice is the FT Crayford as it's very compact and much lighter than the Baader, but of course more expensive.

John

Photo of my old C11 with the FT crayford.

Hello John,

I'm in the market for the FT Crayford for my CPC1100 and was wondering about the short profile adapter with short draw tube focuser set up you had on your old C11. Did the short draw tube give you enough focus range without having to move the primary mirror when using different types of eyepieces?

According to Starlight Instruments the longer draw tube and adapter is the most popular set up for more versatility. I'm trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks!....George

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi George

At the time (the CPC 1100 had only just come out) they recommended the shorter travel one for clearance between a 2" diag and the base, but I think they've found out it's not really a problem.

The shorter one though never gave me any problems as I'd set the FT at half travel and then focus with the CPC focuser and then use the FT as the fine focus.

John

Thank you John and Earl for your replies.

I contacted Starlight Instruments the other day and I inquired about using the 1.5" draw tube with the shorter adapter. They told me that the draw tube will "bottom out" and will not rack all the way in. I'm having a hard time visualizing this given the large diameter opening of the visual back......'bottom out' against what?

So according to them I must use the 0.8" draw tube with the short profile adapter. Switching between 1.25" & 2" I don't want to fiddle with the mirror focuser every time I switch eyepieces, if that is going to be the case.

Thanks again....George

hi George

i havent owned cpc but have read clearance for viewing near zenith could be problem,

(personally its rare i view near zenith objects anyway)

maybe sum1 with cpc can let u know suitable focuser, i'd give flo or sum1 else phone as i'm sure there used to selling to other cpc users

hth James

Hi James,

Clearance near or at zenith is not a problem with the cpc1100 as there's 8" clearance between the mount and the visual back so most crayford focusers I've looked into getting work just fine with a 2" diagonal.

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived