Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New focuser for C11

Hi all,

I'm looking to change my focuser on my C11, so as far as I can see that gives me two real choices.

A feather touch Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Microfocuser Celestron 11" SCT or a Baader Steeltrack First Light Optics - Baader SteelTrack SC for SCT

Not much in it as far as price is concerned (as I would need to purchase the adapter for a 1.25 inch EP).

What are your thoughts?

How easy is it to install the Feather Touch? and I assume that it would invalidate my warranty.

Also is the Baader heavy? I would have thought the extra weight wouldn't help with balance.

So given the choice which would you go with?

Many thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use cheaper SW or GSO/Revelation Crayford focuser for SCT. Steeltrack or even better Moonlight are good if you want to attach something heavy (and keep high level of precision).

And going even further you could attach the SW motofocus to the SW Cryford (extra adapter plate may be needed) - which would give smooth focusing without mirror moving. The Feathertouch would still give you moving mirror :D

The Baader is a bit on the heavy side but works very well.

Installing the FT microfouser won't invalidate any warranty as it simply bolts on in place of the standard knob (a five minute job) and the original focuser knob can be re-installed leaving no trace of the FT ever having been installed.

The best choice is the FT Crayford as it's very compact and much lighter than the Baader, but of course more expensive.

The Microfocuser does help with mirror flop a little as it holds the focuser shaft more securely but a separate focuser will sort this out properly.

John

Photo of my old C11 with the FT crayford.

post-14522-133877692462_thumb.jpg

I want to change the focuser because I'm always finding that with webcam imaging I cant get the focus as accurate as I would like.

I need something that would allow me to focus in smaller increments. That's why I thought about the Feathertouch

Bear in mind the C11 has the larger diameter opening and you can get one of these lovelies from FLO

First Light Optics - MoonLite CS Dual Rate SCT Crayford Focuser for large 3.25 inch thread

it is a substantial but great piece of kit.

I have a feathertouch microfocuser on mine but it did not totally eliminate flop. When you have all of these on it moves your balance point right back.

Bear in mind the C11 has the larger diameter opening and you can get one of these lovelies from FLO

First Light Optics - MoonLite CS Dual Rate SCT Crayford Focuser for large 3.25 inch thread

it is a substantial but great piece of kit.

I have a feathertouch microfocuser on mine but it did not totally eliminate flop. When you have all of these on it moves your balance point right back.

The Baader Steeltrack has a 3.25" fitting as standard. It comes with a 3.25" to SCT adaptor that screws into the back of the focuser flange so it can be also used on a standard SCT fitting.

John

The Baader Steeltrack has a 3.25" fitting as standard. It comes with a 3.25" to SCT adaptor that screws into the back of the focuser flange so it can be also used on a standard SCT fitting.

John

I rate Baader very highly and it was a close call between the two and I would probably go for the Baader now because I think it is a fantastic piece of kit for the price (about £100 cheaper) I do still like the moonlite

I have a FT focuser on my C8 which was previously on a CPC 800 that I once had.

It's easy to fit, as it comes with the necessary tools and a detailed How to Fit DVD.

I haven't noticed any mirror flop during a session and will often pack scope away and several days later, set up again, to find scope still in focus.

Sometime in the near future, I would like to motorise the FT, but off the shelf, it does come at a cost.

Seems like you have an even opinion on this one, so to add my two pennieth. I have just taken delivery of the steel track for my C9.25 and I am very happy with it. I was surprised my the weight but no real issues as long as its on the scope when you balance it up at the beginning of the session. The action is very smooth and has helped no end in getting that superfine adjustment when focusing. Looking forward to FLO getting the motor drive in soon, but at this rate I may not bother as its so easy to use and very precise.

I can not comment of the other focusersmentioned.

Good luck with your quest.

Justin

The feathertouch won't dissapoint, but the price might once you've paid VAT, customs, handling charges and VAT on the postage ;)

I have the moonlite on my Edge 11....I used to use it on my 14 inch Meade too, and hang loads of geat off it.....solid as a rock.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Archived