Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New focuser for C11

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Willarnold

Willarnold

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 398 posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to change my focuser on my C11, so as far as I can see that gives me two real choices.

A feather touch Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Microfocuser Celestron 11" SCT or a Baader Steeltrack First Light Optics - Baader SteelTrack SC for SCT

Not much in it as far as price is concerned (as I would need to purchase the adapter for a 1.25 inch EP).

What are your thoughts?

How easy is it to install the Feather Touch? and I assume that it would invalidate my warranty.

Also is the Baader heavy? I would have thought the extra weight wouldn't help with balance.

So given the choice which would you go with?

Many thanks
Will

Celestron C11
Skywatcher ST80 Guidescope
QHY5 Guidecam
Celestron CGEM Mount
Canon 1D Mk3 & 450D DSLR
Imaging Source DFK 21AU618.AS & Philips SPC900NC Webcam

riklaunim

riklaunim

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,830 posts
Use cheaper SW or GSO/Revelation Crayford focuser for SCT. Steeltrack or even better Moonlight are good if you want to attach something heavy (and keep high level of precision).

And going even further you could attach the SW motofocus to the SW Cryford (extra adapter plate may be needed) - which would give smooth focusing without mirror moving. The Feathertouch would still give you moving mirror :D

Edited by riklaunim, 13 November 2011 - 03:19 PM.

Equipment: SCT C14 * TSAPO65Q * ASI120MM * Atik 314L+ * and more :)

My astro website

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
The Baader is a bit on the heavy side but works very well.

Installing the FT microfouser won't invalidate any warranty as it simply bolts on in place of the standard knob (a five minute job) and the original focuser knob can be re-installed leaving no trace of the FT ever having been installed.

The best choice is the FT Crayford as it's very compact and much lighter than the Baader, but of course more expensive.

The Microfocuser does help with mirror flop a little as it holds the focuser shaft more securely but a separate focuser will sort this out properly.

John

Photo of my old C11 with the FT crayford.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPC-1100-Focuser.jpg

Merlin66

Merlin66

• Moderators
  • 9,343 posts

Edited by Merlin66, 13 November 2011 - 03:54 PM.
repeat post!

"Astronomical Spectroscopy-The Final Frontier" -to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before.

C11, NEQ6pro, DMK41AF04, ATik314L+, 1000D modded, SM60DS/BF15, 102mmPST, Spectra-L200 and other Spectroscope(s).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes -How to use them" - Springer
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/

Willarnold

Willarnold

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 398 posts
Ah! even more choice!! :D

So then a lower cost option, i.e. Revelation Revelation SCT Crayford Focuser Dual Speed More expensive Moonlight Moonlite Focusers from Ian King Imaging , or the feather touch. I couldn't find a UK site for a feather touch crayford

Edited by Willarnold, 13 November 2011 - 03:59 PM.

Will

Celestron C11
QHY5 Guidecam
Celestron CGEM Mount
Canon 1D Mk3 & 450D DSLR

Merlin66

Merlin66

• Moderators
  • 9,343 posts
First question...why do you want to change the focuser??
I mentioned on another thread how easy it was to fit a SW accufocuser motor
http://stargazerslou...user-drive.html
I also use a Feathertouch 10:1 focuser on the C9.25...a great piece of gear.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy-The Final Frontier" -to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before.

C11, NEQ6pro, DMK41AF04, ATik314L+, 1000D modded, SM60DS/BF15, 102mmPST, Spectra-L200 and other Spectroscope(s).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes -How to use them" - Springer

Willarnold

Willarnold

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 398 posts
I want to change the focuser because I'm always finding that with webcam imaging I cant get the focus as accurate as I would like.

I need something that would allow me to focus in smaller increments. That's why I thought about the Feathertouch

Edited by Willarnold, 13 November 2011 - 03:56 PM.

Will

Celestron C11
QHY5 Guidecam
Celestron CGEM Mount
Canon 1D Mk3 & 450D DSLR

Merlin66

Merlin66

• Moderators
  • 9,343 posts
The SW motor would give you all the control you'd ever need.....

Willarnold

Willarnold

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 398 posts
That's an impressive piece of kit that you've made there!

My only issue it that I'm not very (ok at all!) practical. I really need to buy 'off the shelf'. I think I'm going to go with the feather touch

Edited by Willarnold, 13 November 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Will

Celestron C11
QHY5 Guidecam
Celestron CGEM Mount
Canon 1D Mk3 & 450D DSLR

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
Have you read the instructions for installing the microfuser? Really is simple to fit.
http://starlightinstruments.com/store/image/data/PDF/C11%20Focuser.pdf

John

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,581 posts
Bear in mind the C11 has the larger diameter opening and you can get one of these lovelies from FLO
First Light Optics - MoonLite CS Dual Rate SCT Crayford Focuser for large 3.25 inch thread
it is a substantial but great piece of kit.
I have a feathertouch microfocuser on mine but it did not totally eliminate flop. When you have all of these on it moves your balance point right back.

Edited by m.tweedy, 13 November 2011 - 04:32 PM.

• deepspacehunter likes this
Michael
:iamwithstupid:

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts

Bear in mind the C11 has the larger diameter opening and you can get one of these lovelies from FLO
First Light Optics - MoonLite CS Dual Rate SCT Crayford Focuser for large 3.25 inch thread
it is a substantial but great piece of kit.
I have a feathertouch microfocuser on mine but it did not totally eliminate flop. When you have all of these on it moves your balance point right back.

The Baader Steeltrack has a 3.25" fitting as standard. It comes with a 3.25" to SCT adaptor that screws into the back of the focuser flange so it can be also used on a standard SCT fitting.

John

m.tweedy

m.tweedy

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,581 posts

The Baader Steeltrack has a 3.25" fitting as standard. It comes with a 3.25" to SCT adaptor that screws into the back of the focuser flange so it can be also used on a standard SCT fitting.

John

I rate Baader very highly and it was a close call between the two and I would probably go for the Baader now because I think it is a fantastic piece of kit for the price (about £100 cheaper) I do still like the moonlite

Edited by m.tweedy, 13 November 2011 - 04:44 PM.

Michael
:iamwithstupid:

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
While the FT is my favourite the Baader is very, very good, lovely smooth action, handles plenty of weight. Great value for money. I have one on my dob and just got another one for my 100mm f/13 reftractor project. :D

John

Dougie

Dougie

Nebula

• Members
  • 90 posts
I have a FT focuser on my C8 which was previously on a CPC 800 that I once had.
It's easy to fit, as it comes with the necessary tools and a detailed How to Fit DVD.
I haven't noticed any mirror flop during a session and will often pack scope away and several days later, set up again, to find scope still in focus.
Sometime in the near future, I would like to motorise the FT, but off the shelf, it does come at a cost.
Doug

Altair Wave 102 Triplet APO Refractor, WO Flattener, AZ-EQ6 Mount, ST80 Guide scope, SXVR-M26C, Trius SX674C, SX Lodestar, Lakeside Motor Focuser, IDAS filter

hayju01

hayju01

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 922 posts
Seems like you have an even opinion on this one, so to add my two pennieth. I have just taken delivery of the steel track for my C9.25 and I am very happy with it. I was surprised my the weight but no real issues as long as its on the scope when you balance it up at the beginning of the session. The action is very smooth and has helped no end in getting that superfine adjustment when focusing. Looking forward to FLO getting the motor drive in soon, but at this rate I may not bother as its so easy to use and very precise.

I can not comment of the other focusersmentioned.

Good luck with your quest.

Justin

Edited by hayju01, 13 November 2011 - 06:50 PM.

Justin
Sible Hed, Essex
C9.25 on NEQ6, Baader Steeltrack, Hyperion MkIII, DFK21AU618, QHY8 Pro, Meade DSI II - mono
2x Philips SPC900NC, Dell XPS17 & XPS 8100

Willarnold

Willarnold

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 398 posts
Cool, thanks all
Will

Celestron C11
QHY5 Guidecam
Celestron CGEM Mount
Canon 1D Mk3 & 450D DSLR

Charon

Charon

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,072 posts
Fitting the Feathertouch is very easy, just fitted one onto my CPC800. Lovely piece of kit and well worth the momey in my opinion.

Edited by Charon, 13 November 2011 - 08:55 PM.

Dexs.

Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT) with FeatherTouch Microfocuser
TeleVue- Ethos 13mm, T4 Nagler 17 & 22 mm. Panoptic 27mm. Powermate x2   Baader- Hyperion 10mm, Aspheric 36mm.
We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is for ever. Carl Sagan.

Luke

Luke

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,913 posts
I was surprised how easy it was to install on our C11, the instructions were clear. It was a doddle :D

How easy is it to install the Feather Touch?

Willarnold

Willarnold

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 398 posts
Thanks for your help all. I've decided to go with the Feather Touch. Ordered direct with them in the US. As I get to pay in US$ it does get to save me quite a lot! ;)
Will

Celestron C11
QHY5 Guidecam
Celestron CGEM Mount
Canon 1D Mk3 & 450D DSLR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users