SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wanted : Astronomy 'buddy' - Basingstoke or Nearby

DH88

Hi All,

Im wondering if anyone around the Basingstoke area is looking for new people to meet and observe with.

Im a complete beginner and have bought a Skywatcher Explorer 200 to get started with. Theres a good viewing spot at Basingstoke Common and Crabtree, although im not keen on going out to the countryside on my own with expensive equipment.

Anyone around interested in making new friends and helping out a newbie ?

Hello there,

I am also a new member to this forum and live in Reading ( not a million miles from you ). I am in the process of finding out who is around as I am not a member of any clubs, etc., but am desperate to find a decent dark sky site.

If you are interested in a chat please PM me ( I don't have quite the scope that you have but am interested in the Skywatcher 200 as my 'next scope' ).

• 3 weeks later...

You want to talk to John Murphy as Basingstoke AS. They're on the Web.

They are the only club I know meets twice a month - once for imaging and practical stuff like observing and once for more 'club' activities like talks.

They meet out south of Basingstoke so a bit more dark sky and I find them really friendly and helpful.

Failing that - I'm around,,..

Mike

• 1 month later...

I'm based just south of Reading. Really keen to find a dark sky spot that I can go to with some other people, I've been told that over towards Hungerford is quite good? From looking at light pollution maps the further west you go the better!

Hi,

I'm in that area and just starting going along to the Basingstoke AS. The next meet I think is on Feb 9th, details at Basingstoke Astronomical Society

Regards

GG

I'm planning on heading down to BAS tonight. Wife and I went out on Tuesday and we headed out to the South of Basingstoke. We had a set of binoculars with us and it's the first time I've looked at the night sky with something over than the naked eye. Even though it was a full moon I was taken back how much you could see. I really want to take this further now and get a telescope.

I took a DSLR as well and took some photos along with Google sky on my phone we worked out a few of the constalations we could see to the south, only problem now is remembering what they were!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm new to star gazing (although reasonably well educated on astronomy), my wife brought me a Celestron LCM 114mm computerised telescope and I'm keen to try it out. I'm looking for a dark spot and am happy to provide company to anyone who would rather not venture out into the dark on their own. I'll look into the local astronomy club.

The skies are clear tonight so I'll be heading out to a location high above Basingstoke overlooking the town, hopefully reducing light pollution. I don't mind going out on my own but it's always more fun when you have people to share the experience with.

Please get in touch if you'd look to venture out, I can provide transport for people in Basingstoke, up to 4 people at a squeeze!

I've been checking out terrain on Google maps, I'll look tonight and feedback here, I've spotted many places on my travels around the Hampshire area, just need to back track and record locations!

Cheers,

David (Basingstoke)

Hi David,

I'm from Burghfield Common (about 20 mins north of Basingstoke). I can't make it out tonight, but there's another thread here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/176475-dark-sky-spot-near-reading.html

where people have been talking about dark sky locations in the Basingstoke/Reading/Newbury triangle. It would be great to meet up with others in a decent spot, it can get quite lonely when you're in a field in the dark by yourself!

Cheers,

Nick

Check out south coast astro group.

http://www.southcoastastro.co.uk/

We go down to the new Forrest so not that far from basingstoke (we have members that travel further because the skies are so good) normally twice a month. Lots of very experienced members as well as plenty of people new to the hobby

A very relax group that is all about getting out and using your scope not having monthly meetings talking about them

If you want very very dark skies with the milky way easily visible come and join us

Oh and there is always homemade cakes on offer :D

I'm available too. I'm not in a Dark sky area but it is only very very slightly light polluted, mainly from stuff from the Reading peripheral area as there not many houses where I live and certainly no street lights for around a mile or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Unfortunately, due to many other hobbies and commitments, i dont think my 'scope has seen anything but the back of the cupboard this year.

but i should be back outdoors soon so if anyone still interested in meeting up and trying out some sights, drop me a line

Archived