Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where are you all??

Gottzi

Where is everyone in East Anglia, hardly anybody uses this group but I'm sure you're all friendly enough, let's all use this space to keep in touch and turn East Anglia into the place to stargaze.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, I'm in Northampton, does that count? There never seems to be a clearly agreed area for this town... sometimes East Anglia, sometimes East Midlands, sometimes just plain East.

I think we can count Northampton, we need the numbers!

Huzzah!

I spend a fair bit of time in Cambridge (well, Shelford) too. Northampton is a bit of a non-entity really, but we do have a good natural history society with an astro section.

You think Northampton's a non-entity, what about me in Daventry ;( I'm in Northamptonshire, but the other side of the motorway from the rest, a forgotten outpost.

Glad to hear that the astro section of NNHS is good, I'm hoping to make it along to a meeting soon :)

You think Northampton's a non-entity, what about me in Daventry ;( I'm in Northamptonshire, but the other side of the motorway from the rest, a forgotten outpost.

But do you get Look East? That is the question!

Looking here:

BBC Look East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC Look East is the BBC's regional television news programme for the BBC East region, covering Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, north Buckinghamshire and southern Lincolnshire.

I think you are officially in the group James!

:-) Love the 'Look-East' entry requirement :-)

As for why the EA section is so quiet... I know a large chunk of the Suffolk/Essex people left SGL a couple of years back and formed P.A.I.G (I think it's progressive Astro Imagers Group, or something, there may be an 'E' for 'East' after that, not sure).

I think there's certainly enough of us here though to start trying to get something together in terms of regular meet-ups.

@ Spellmaster: Orwell are a nice bunch of people, I joined in January. I think they're probably better known as the Orwell Astronomical Society (Ipswich) rather than the Orwell Astrological Society... though the thought of getting Russel Grant (complete with sequins if necessary) down to do a talk has appeal. :-)

If I'm going to have a serious stab at finding us a venue.... is the A14 corridor a good bet? If we're evenly spread between Essex, Suffolk, Cambridge and some further north, is that a fairly central place to get to?

I know we can theoretically use the same village hall here in Ipswich that Orwell use for their open field observing, but there is a charge.... not much, I think we might be looking at a few quid each per meet up... would people be willing to pay that?

If we could find a similar village hall type location a bit further west I think we'd be on to a winner.

Ben

As for why the EA section is so quiet... I know a large chunk of the Suffolk/Essex people left SGL a couple of years back and formed P.A.I.G (I think it's progressive Astro Imagers Group, or something, there may be an 'E' for 'East' after that, not sure).

I think there's certainly enough of us here though to start trying to get something together in terms of regular meet-ups.

@ Spellmaster: Orwell are a nice bunch of people, I joined in January. I think they're probably better known as the Orwell Astronomical Society (Ipswich) rather than the Orwell Astrological Society... though the thought of getting Russel Grant (complete with sequins if necessary) down to do a talk has appeal. :-)

If I'm going to have a serious stab at finding us a venue.... is the A14 corridor a good bet? If we're evenly spread between Essex, Suffolk, Cambridge and some further north, is that a fairly central place to get to?

I know we can theoretically use the same village hall here in Ipswich that Orwell use for their open field observing, but there is a charge.... not much, I think we might be looking at a few quid each per meet up... would people be willing to pay that?

If we could find a similar village hall type location a bit further west I think we'd be on to a winner.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for all the info, very interesting.

I think a location for meet-ups somewhere along the A14 corridor would be excellent and should have quite a catchment area. I know there are a number of guys around Cambridge who could be talked into joining in.

Next, we need to figure out how to change the group mane from "SGL East Anglian Group" to "The Stewart White Appreciation Society".

Chris

Ben

FYI - I might be wrong, but I believe the IoA's place in Cambridge is free to hire for astronomy gatherings. Not sure how central that is for everybody.

I'd certainly be willing to chip in for room hire. Only problem is I don't drive so I'm not likely to make it to many meetings.

*edit*

In reply to Dave's post above, Cambridge is fairly easy for me as I visit a friend there regularly so I'm used to the (somewhat epic) coach journey.

Cambridge is about an hour for me in Ipswich... maybe a little over.

I'm busy trying to find village halls (with fields/gardens adjacent to them) on the A14 corridor now we may be able to hire... a few possibilities :-)

Sorry for my ignorance, who are the IoA? Is their 'location' A: dark (outside central Cambridge) and B: does it have power and lots of outside space? :-)

Might be worth a look?

Ben

Cambridge is about an hour for me in Ipswich... maybe a little over.

I'm busy trying to find village halls (with fields/gardens adjacent to them) on the A14 corridor now we may be able to hire... a few possibilities :-)

Sorry for my ignorance, who are the IoA? Is their 'location' A: dark (outside central Cambridge) and B: does it have power and lots of outside space? :-)

Might be worth a look?

Ben

The Institute of Astronomy is opposite the Cavendish Laboratories near Madingley. I wouldn't call it a dark site however.

I perhaps misunderstood what type of meeting venue we were talking about.

Ben

LOL! loving the image! thats why I'm spellmaster!

Archived