SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guidescope Help Please

Hughesey1

My current set up is a Skywatcher 150p on EQ3-2 mount, but with a ST80 mounted ontop as a guidescope(picture at bottom).

I would like to use it so both scopes are pointed at the same object, therefore when I am imaging through one I can keep tracking easily with the other. At the moment they are not aligned to do this. How would I do it?

Regards Hughesey

post-25066-133877661547_thumb.jpg

It's the same principle as the finder scope but the rings you have on the ST80 are not adjustable. You could point the finder to the same object as the 150 perhaps ?

What are your reasonings behind this approach? Might be able to suggest an alternative method.

Options would be:

• Use washer, shims and drill new holes in the dovetail to align the guide scope as closely as you can with the main scope
  • Purchase proper guide scope rings, these are fully adjustable so you can aim the ST80 to line up with your imaging target
  • Purchase an alt/az guidescope mount
  • Don't do it :( As mad as it sounds, unless you are in a bad area of the sky, chances are you can find a guidestar

Right ok, I already have a finder on the 150p and one on the ST80?! I'd like to have the ST80 at the same point as my 150p as, for example if I'm imaging Jupiter through the 150p I can use my motors to track it but also watch it through the ST80 for my accurate tracking. And also to just compare views, etc.

Thanks

I have just read your post Kh3ldar and I have just briefly looked up those options. At this moment in time I don't really want to spend anymore money, so for now I'm going to rule out Option 2 & 3! The last option I will definately try this ASAP, but the first option seems interesting I will look into. Thanks:)

Archived