Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power problem with Celestron 8SE

jonathan

The other night I had real problems with the Celestron Goto mount of my 8SE, the power kept cutting out just when things were getting interesting! This of course meant that it lost the alignment and I had to do all of that again... and again... and again... by about the fifth time I gave up and just slewed manually. It has done this before but never this bad, I just thought the plug had been yanked out by the mount turning around and tangling the wires (it's possible something may have been damaged by such a yank).

Obviously a poor joint somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's in the cable plug or the mount. If it's the cable plug it should be an easy fix, I'm a dab-hand with a soldering iron so could replace the plug no problem, but if it's in the mount... it could be very costly to send back, or is it relatively easy to get into? I'm sure it's just a bad join inside either the plug or the socket, I should be able to fix either if I can get in there, save the hassle of posting the thing away.

What's the general opinion on this? Both parts were purchased from FLO last November so should be in warranty, I assume if I opened the mount I would void the warranty?

Jonathan, I would definately not open up your scope, if its still under warranty you will void it for sure. Unless you find out its down to power which does have a big effect on slewing when low.

Perhaps its best to contact FLO, who I can assure you will be able to help.

I use a Maplins-branded power tank, it was not a problem with that, it was definitely the power connection where it enters the mount which was intermittent and cutting out when the cable was touched near the mount socket.

I have just purchased a 6SE as a get up and go scope. Mounted the OTA onto the fork arm and had the dreaded no response 16 error code. Took it back to the shop and they tried a different controller - no difference. No response 16 is a motor error.

I would speak to steve or james at FLO who know their stuff.

Just disappointed this happened with Celestron as they do have a reputation for reliability.

The No response 16/17 is a relatively common error on the Nexstar.

Having moved onto a 12V supply fairly early on on my 130 SLT (it was killing rechargable AA's very quickly) I discovered that there was a problem whereby the slightest difference in size of the plastic insulator at the tip of the DC power connector meant it broke contact with the slightest movement.

The bit I meant is at the top left of this picture;

Dayga-T2-5_5X2_1mm_inline_Plug_Dc_Power_Connector.jpg

When I measured some of the various DC connectors I had around the house with a vernier, the tip section varies in size from manufacturer to manufacturer. Not by much at all, perhaps just enough to be noticed when they are held side by side. But it's enough to stop the scope working.

In the end I routed around at home until I found a DC cable that reliable made contact, then cut it off and re-soldered it onto the power cable I made up for the scope.

I even tried a replacement socket from Maplin and soldered it into the scope but found the best combination was the cable I found and cut, along with the original socket.

Skiddins

I think you may be right, Skiddins, or at least it has proven to be the cable and not the mount (phew!) after I tested it with the short lead that came with the Maplins power tank. I tried the FLO cable, the slightest gentle pull or movement of the wire caused the mount to reset or even be off entirely, the Maplins one didn't do this even with quite firm pulling in various directions and lots of cable movement.

I think it may be time to speak to those nice chaps at FLO about a replacement cable. :smiley:

Thank you all for your help and advice!

I remember this was a common problem when I had my 6SE. The cure was to open up the split pin in the middle of the mount's power socket ever so slightly. It completely fixed the problem for me. I used a Stanley knife to open the pin a tiny bit to ensure it always made contact with the power plug.

Cheers,

Chris

I remember this was a common problem when I had my 6SE. The cure was to open up the split pin in the middle of the mount's power socket ever so slightly. It completely fixed the problem for me. I used a Stanley knife to open the pin a tiny bit to ensure it always made contact with the power plug.

Cheers,

Chris

Interesting, this ties in with my theory that the centre hole is a fraction too wide in the plug on the SkyTron lead. I tried opening this up as you suggested but alas it made no difference in my case. I think my best option is to find a plug with a better fit to the centre pin.

Here are photos of the cable provided with the Maplins power tank (left, which works flawlessly but is too short) and the SkyTron cable (right). Is it just me or does the Maplins cable look to have a smaller hole? You can see how far the Maplins cable goes in to the socket, the depth is not a problem here.

skytron_cable_comparison1.jpg

skytron_cable_comparison2.jpg

Hi

I had the same issue and changed the DC power plug shown in the photos above.

Much tighter connection and not had any issues since.

I bought a pack of five so if you want one FOC , drop me a PM with your address and I'll get one in the post for you.

Regards

Neil

Hi

I bought a pack of five so if you want one FOC , drop me a PM with your address and I'll get one in the post for you.

Regards

Neil

You're right - I measured the hole and it is 2.5mm. The SkyTron packaging states 2.1mm. Maybe FLO should be contacting their supplier about this, I will email them.

Cheers,

Chris

I have the SLT mount and that was the cure for that - open up the split pin with a jeweler's screwdriver just a little and problem solved!

Brinders

Hi

Regards

Neil

That's very generous of you, I was just looking at Maplins to order one. PM on it's way!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Even though I skilfully fitted the new plug which has the correct specifications, heat shrink and all, the power still cuts out if I wiggle the wire in a specific direction, very odd and very very annoying! It's not as bad as it was, but it couldn't exactly be called fixed either. It just has to be that centre pin not making good enough contact with the inner pole.

I can't think of what more I can do other than tape the cable to the mount to stop it from wiggling at the plug.

The annoying part is that I know it's possible to get a good plug that does fit perfectly, I'm just not willing to chop it off the cable it's attached to (it's a sealed plug so no chance of opening it up to do a proper soldering job).

Oh well! Can't say I haven't tried.

It seems Celestron have a lot of problems with their power cables, I have the Cg5/GT and had exactly the same problems, it caused a few unnecesary headaches.

I ended up using the cable supplied with the power tank and throwing the Celstron supplied one away. I also opened the central + pin with a jewelers screw driver as suggested by at least 2 people already, have you tried that ? Mines been absolutely fine ever since.

It's rather vexing that Celestron can make fine telescopes and mounts yet have a problem with providing a power cable that works.

Hope you get it sorted.

Archived