Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The top free iphone astronomy apps...

bluesman81

Hi guys and gals

Here is my rather meagre list of iphone astronomy apps that are free:

(in no particular order)

1. Astroweather - a very useful app for checking what the sky is like and seeing conditions.

2. Stellarium - need i say any more.

3. Scope Tools - a level, location finder, ep calc et al.

4. AstroKit - compass and location finder.

5. SkyWeek - from sky and telescope magazine. (Very much american )

6. SkyPlanner - plan your session in advance.

7. SkySafari - yet another sky chart (and with the right lead you can control your scope)

8. SGL - do i really need to say what it is (and one day i may put it on the app store)

And last but not least EBAY - for those astro bargains.

Please feel free to add to....

Regards and maybe one day soon we shall have clear skies with no light polution....

nice one, what do you recommend for smart phones, i.e. mt htc wildfire s, i`ve visited the app store but couldn`t find alot on there.

this is my first "smart" phone so i don`t know alot about them, took me ages to get to grips with it but they are like little computers

Great list, I'll definitely be checking them out. Astroweather sounds particularly interesting.

It's going against the grain of your thread because it is a pay app (and for that I apologise), but I would highly recommend Starwalk as it uses your location and 360 degree positioning of your phone to show you where things are.

I must confess that for that reason I use it more than Stellarium on my phone, and it helped me find Neptune and Uranus for the first time a couple of nights ago (zooming in and holding it against the back of your finder is surprisingly accurate and gets you where you need to be for those of us without GoTo!)

Hmmmm......tried searching on Appstore for Astroweather and SkyPlanner can't find either - I remember looking 3 or 4 weeks ago for Astroweather with the same result. Anybody got any ideas?

I'm suprised that some of the apps haven't been ported to android considering that it's outselling the iphone OS now. This goes for paid apps as well.

I used many of the apps suggested with my iphone but now I use an android and I'm rally missing them!

Archived