Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion XT8 classic vs Skywatcher 8" dob

Hello Everyone,

I have decided to but one of these scopes Orion XT8 classic or Skywatcher 8" dob but i am kinda confused what to buy

I know both are made by same Chinese company Synta but following things are keep bugging me.

1. Does Pyrex Glass in skywatcher really poses advantage over Orion's simple Soda lime glass
  2. Is there any difference between Sirius Plössl and Super Plössl or these eypieces are just the same but with different names
  3. Skywatcher wooden mount vs Orions Metal mount

Any advice is greatly appreciated.:)

I don't think the 8" Skywatcher has Pyrex mirrors - the 'P' stands for Parabolic. The 10" does have Pyrex mirrors.

The USA 8" Orion is much more expensive than the 8" Skywatcher but has the same optics, both have wooden mounts.

The UK 8" Orion Optics 8" Dob has a metal mount and better optics (you can have 1/10th wave if required) but are very expensive.

You cannot go wrong with any of them as they are a very rewarding scope.

I fitted a lazy Susan bearing to my Skywatcher for really smooth Azimuth movement.

Flocking opposite the focusser will improve contrast.

The biggest improvement is adding a baffled fan to the rear of the scope - the views become much sharper and steadier.

A couple of nights ago I found turning on the fan improved the views of Jupiter - even though I had been using the scope all night (over 6 hours).

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot David, i never knew Cooling Fan's have that much effect but then again i don't have a scope.

As the skywatcher dealer in India clearly shown on following page that this particular scope comes with "Pyrex mirror".

Dobsonian Telescope, Sky Watcher Telescope, Dobsonian 8" PYREX

I had my doubts about this, i think i'll ask my dealer first.

Anyhow, Is there any difference between Sirius Plössl and Super Plössl's.

I also found out as that pyrex is an annealed soda lime glass. Which has its internal stress removed by slow cooling after its made.

Skywatcher doesn't provide any detail about lens material

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

neither does the orion as they say they provide soda-lime mirror but is it Heat annealed? Hmm

Then again Pyrex is a Trade name.

Thanks a lot David, i never knew Cooling Fan's have that much effect but then again i don't have a scope.

As the skywatcher dealer in India clearly shown on following page that this particular scope comes with "Pyrex mirror".

I have my doubts there is any difference in quality of the mirrors. The main sticking point for the Orion in the UK will be its price in comparison to the Skywatcher. A £70 difference for what is the same scope just rules out the Orion unless one of your tick boxes says 'must be black'.

Yes. The supplied Skywatcher eyepieces are the lowest of the low. Barely adequate.

The Orion Sirius Plossl is a decent eyepiece, a good Plossl on a par with the GSO Plossl.

I have my doubts there is any difference in quality of the mirrors. The main sticking point for the Orion in the UK will be its price in comparison to the Skywatcher.

Yes. The supplied Skywatcher eyepieces are the lowest of the low. Barely adequate.

The Orion Sirius Plossl is a decent eyepiece, a good Plossl on a par with the GSO Plossl. But it's not worth £70 extra.

Archived