Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop basics for astrophotographers

In addition to the more intermediate and advanced videos and faster paced ones I already did, I have just added a few new videos on Photoshop basics for astrophotographers on my site.

These 2 (soon to be 3) videos try to explain Photoshop use for astrophotos if you don't know anything about PS. I try to go slower and zoom in compared to my previous videos so that you can follow along more easily.

I hope they help.

Beginning with Photoshop for astrophotographers

The main menu for all the videos I have available for Photoshop and astrophotography is located here: Enterprise Astrophotography: Videos

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your efforts Anna. These are very useful and very well presented.

I have used Photoshop elements for quite a long time, and am quite familiar with that, but it is good to see how some of the 'full' version tools work so that I can figure out a workaround in the 'lite' package.

Anna, I have spent several hours today going through & applying the content in your videos to some of my early images. I can honestly say that my confidence in handling Photoshop with astro-inmages has now been increased significantly thanks to your great videos. I would encourage others to view these as well....

Many thanks.

I am glad that you are all finding them helpful.

Mick - I would LOVE to help with the weather - I haven't gotten a clear night to image here in Suffolk since June 20th. I am desperately wanting to work on my mosaic of the NA/Pelican Nebulas so really hoping for some clear nights soon.

So who built an observatory or bought a ton of equipment recently?! You owe us all a few pints at the very least :BangHead:

For those with slow internet connections, I have zipped all the videos together for download. Although loading this took up all my bandwidth for about 4 days (yes, I have a slow connection lately) and cost me a bunch as a result so I would ask that you donate something if you download them to help me offset this cost. The donate button is at the bottom of the Video page.

With that said, the download link for the zipped group video file is located here

Anyone wanting to download all the videos, please read my post above and then download before the end of the weekend. I will be pulling the zipped file off of my Dropbox Monday as its taking up most of the space allotted on there. Thanks!

I just posted the newest video about separating the star layer, processing, and putting it back together. I am already planning the redo as I don't like that I couldn't zoom in properly for it (latest quirk I found in Lion, but I think I have solved it with a bit of playing around today) and I have a better example photo for the use of this technique. A narrow field like the M51 I use isn't the best example, but at least you can see the technique.

It is up on my video page, or the direct link is: Enterprise Astrophotography: Shooting the stars | Separating your DSO from your stars

Thanks Anna - your video's are very useful. The time and effort this must have taken is deeply appreciated.

The description of PS as an 800 lb gorilla is well founded ;)

Cheers,

Tony

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing this with the community - I'm just about to buy Photoshop and searched in SGL on the subject - this came up immediately so I not only thank you but SGL for maintaining a premium service :-)

David

• 3 months later...

I have started upgrading the videos to better quality and easier to follow versions, starting with the Basics set. I am also working on several complete capture to finish sets that hopefully will be available soon.

Check out the new free tutorials at: Enterprise Astrophotography: Shooting the stars | Videos

Archived