SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My 70mm stage 2 PST mod

Roel

By the way: I made a simple solar finder from an old useless 5x24 finderscope. I removed the lenses, put in a disk with a hole at the front end and a semi-transparent cover on the other side on which I drew a crosshair. It produces a 5mm "image" of the sun on the cover. I find this easier to use than a normal finder with solar foil because I dont have to look through the finder, but just AT it to aim the telescope. Saves my back! :)

post-20258-133877634214_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a few PST mods on the web, mostly using 80mm refractors. Is there any reason why other optical systems could not be used?

I've a "spare" 125mm f10 SCT, add a ERF and 2" visual back. Cut short the PST gold tube and pad into the visual back...

Hmmm,

With a full aperure ( or reduced aperture?) D-ERF it MAY work, but getting the -200mm spacing from focus to the etalon position may be problematic....

I'd check out the available spacing before getting too excited...

Here's part of Cloudynight's policy statement on PST mods. For the full read, go into their forums and scroll down to the solar section, then, click on the thread titled: PST safety warnings and modifications. UPDATED. :

"The PST is a very specialized instrument and any changes to a scope like this could be extremely hazardous. Changing the space between the Etalon and the diagonal ( which contains IR blocking ) could result in the light path changing and more energy reaching the eye. The damage would be done without any physical warning."

Hmmm,

With a full aperure ( or reduced aperture?) D-ERF it MAY work, but getting the -200mm spacing from focus to the etalon position may be problematic....

I'd check out the available spacing before getting too excited...

Having just checked the price of 5" ERF filters :) I don't think this is going to happen in the near future. Oh well it was a nice thought while it lasted :)

Well, the other day I got a tip from another PST modder about a cheaper alternative for an ERF. He uses a HOYA HMC R [Wratten 25A] and a B+W #486 UV/IR-Cut filter. He only uses these filters for photograpy, but when you look at the graph below it might work for visual too. (not really a thing for trial and error by the way). The costs are around 10 Euro's for the Wratten #25 and around 50 Euro's for the UV/IR-cut.

post-20258-133877634658_thumb.jpg

Merlin,

I certainly don't want to be drawn into an endless debate, but I need to point out that the Baader C and D-ERF have a very narrow bandwidth (600 - 700nm) and effectively block ALL the UV and IR from even entering the objective...

(I note in the US they tend to use Lumicon type filters which are basically a Wratten #29 red filter and CAN allow the IR through to the etalon.)

As the final blocking filter is only 8A bandwidth - centred on Ha there's no other wavelength getting through - no UV or IR - nothing.

I honestly do believe that the PST mod with a D-ERF filter is 200% safe.

Archived