SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Build begins..part 1, The Pier.

Freff

I have been able to acquire the necessary material to make a start on the Pier. Some may remember I contemplated using an empty Oxy bottle as the main tube but quickly dismissed this idea after the many safety concerns from members.:)

I was able to get a length of tube 52"x 9 1/2" x 6mm and some plate 14"x 12"x10mm. Unfortunately the size I wanted was 14"x14" so a 2" piece had to be cut from one and welded to another to bring it to spec.

I managed to weld the base today. Not an easy task, my welding rods are 25 yrs old and maybe past their sell by date. A quick coat of red oxide and ready for the upper parts.

These may prove a bit difficult to get cut locally. I want a clean accurate cut by either laser, water or plasma.

Here's a couple of pics of the start.

post-19789-133877613191_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877613195_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877613208_thumb.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Helen, yes it looks big from that angle. At present It is 52" high. I envisage the base to be about 6-8" below the obsy floor. Once the reducer, the adjuster plates and the mount adapter is installed it will be about 48" above obsy floor.

Hopefully , that will give me enough height to clear the 72" obsy walls and get about 15° above the horizon.

I'm happy with the 9 1/2" dia tube. That should give good stability.

I was offered it with all the 10mm plate for the princely sum of £30. At that pice I wasn't going to be choosy. It also does away with the need for stability "fins" welded to to the sides.

£30 is a real bargain. There's nothing wrong with your welding, I've been a welder for 20 years and stopped about 2 1/2 years ago and like everything else if you don't do it every day you ain't gonna be the best. I have plans for a similar pier but will use countersunk bolts with the fixings in the patio so there is no trip hazard. I've used these fixings before and have confidence in them. Good work Tony.

Hi Adamski, thanks for your kind words regarding my welding. My old SIP 120 really struggled with the 10mm and 6mm steel. I was able to grind a complete bevel edge on the tube first resulting in good penetration ( so to speak) and a solid weld. :)

I have contemplated using the patio by lifting a few slabs and sinking a concrete plug. The slab would the be replaced after use.

I'm hoping I wont have to do that. I have plans to sell our greenhouse which hasn't been used for two years, for plants that is. It get used now for storage. :(

The images shows where I hope to put the obsy. Same base as the greenhouse but extended two foot. Probably the same height as the workshop opposite, but with a slightly shallower roof.

post-19789-133877614075_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877614083_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the 10mm plate cut over the past few days. (weather permitting)

Unfortunately, I was unable to get them cut cleanly locally. The only alternative was to have them cut by gas which left me to clean up the cut. No one could cut them with laser or water unless I paid an arm and leg or I had an account with a minimal order of £150.

Even the gas cutter wanted £50+ vat, so I resorted to cutting them myself. I bought a new 9" metal cutting disc from B&Q and set about the threepenny bit cut method. After 5hrs of cutting and turning the disc to size on the lathe I was ready to weld.

After cutting down the pier tube by 12", the biggest disc (9") was welded in the top. The 3" reducer was welded on top and the whole thing painted with a few coats of red oxide.

The two smaller discs were drilled for the 4x 16mm adjuster bolts, and hopefully the one will be welded to the reducer next week.

I also made a mock up of the mount plate out of MDF on the CNC machine. The finished one will be made out of 25mm aluminum billet.

post-19789-133877619758_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877619771_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for your kind words chaps.

Unfortunately, during my haste I forgot to bore a 35mm hole in the pier top plate and one near the bottom of the pier for filling and emptying with sand. Not a huge problem, just awkward. :)

Astrokev.... At present the obsy is still at the planning stage. As soon as I sell the greenhouse the build will begin.:)

Many thanks for your kind words chaps.

Unfortunately, during my haste I forgot to bore a 35mm hole in the pier top plate and one near the bottom of the pier for filling and emptying with sand. Not a huge problem, just awkward. :)

Astrokev.... At present the obsy is still at the planning stage. As soon as I sell the greenhouse the build will begin.:)

I just put three 75mm dia holes in my pier- not for filling with sand but for cabling. One hole at the bottom and two at the top. The lower hole is below floor level so power, USB & Firewire leads can be brought to the scope sensibly.

I chose 75mm dia because that's the smallst hole my hand can squeeze through- and because Wicks do a 75mm heavy duty metal hole saw. Took me about 15 minutes and a lot of Rocol to drill each hole though!

Running cable inside the tube had crossed my mind, but instead decided to use trunking or pipe.

Hopefully I wont need to use sand and the pier will be solid enough. I don't envisage hitting it with a hammer to often to start it vibrating, so the holes are a (just in case) measure.

I would be interested to see your setup if you have any images.

hi its a pity you don't live near me i have some pipes with the owls nest already cut in at the back of my shed and top and bottems made up and i'm a fully qualified welder i could of knocked that up for you in about 1/2 hour

hi its a pity you don't live near me i have some pipes with the owls nest already cut in at the back of my shed and top and bottems made up and i'm a fully qualified welder i could of knocked that up for you in about 1/2 hour

Many thanks for the offer. Getting the materials was not a problem nor was the welding of the tube and plates.

My biggest issue was getting the plate disks cut cleanly.

looks a great job, where do you manage to get the pipes from ?

scrap yards and places like that.

Both the tube 52" x 9 1/2"dia x 6mm and the 10mm plate, were off cuts from a local steel supplier. I put £30 in their tea and biscuit fund for it.:)

I managed to get a bit more done today. Welded the lower plate to the reducer, and the 16mm bolts to the upper plate.

I bought 4 x 100mm x 16mm high tensile tow ball hitch bolts for the job. I turned the heads off on the lathe to give me the extra 15mm. These were then welded in place to the upper plate and fill in weld ground flat for a clean finish.

Because these bolts are only partially threaded, the exposed uprights will be smooth and bright.

A coat of read oxide and ready for the aluminum mount plate. i hope to get a 150mm x 50mm round billet tomorrow and get it turned to shape by the weekend.:D

In the meantime I'll give it a good sanding ready for the finish coat.

Right..now to sell the greenhouse. ;)

post-19789-133877622008_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877622016_thumb.jpg

I love that you are making absolutely no compromises Tony. This mount is going to be rock solid but can go where ever you go where as the usual concrete piers can't. BTW great deal with the steel pipe I'm well envious, must weigh a ton.

nice pier! looking very good and solid! 9.25" diameter wow thats almost 3x times mine ;) you have made a very good job of it well worth the effort.

mine seems a bit flimsy compared to that beast :D but cannot complain it was a freebie might have to think about some strengthening fins though

Thanks for the comments my fellow obsy builders. The pat on the back should be for all of you who have inspired all of us. ;):icon_salut::D

Keep all the ideas and pictures coming, they make such a difference. :)

Archived