Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GSO eyepieces - bargain or false economy?

Ok, have decided not to buy a barlow for now, and concentrate on complimenting/replacing the 10mm and 26mm basic plossls that came with my Konusky 200 F5 newtonian with motorised EQ5 mount. The 26mm is pretty poor (double images, blurry) and but the 10mm is ok (except some idiot touched the EP!!!! another story).

On this forum many people have said the GSO super plossls are same as Meade 4000, perhaps better. So when I saw this deal I was intrigued - 9, 15, 20 and 32mm plus 1.5x to 2x barlow and case for £91 (a considerable saving):

ScopeTeknix 7 part Photo-Visual eyepiece and accessory kit by GSO

However, with my thinking of no barlow, less glass = more light, I was hoping for a 6mm or 4mm in the set so, I found this for £25:

6mm GSO Plossl Eyepiece [TSSP06] - £25.40 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

Questions:

1) Are these GSO plossls going to be good for general purpose viewing, planets to DSOs?

2) If I choose 6mm what FL would you recommend for a second EP (15, 20, 32 ...)?

3) Or is it worth getting the full set and using the 1.5x to 2x barlow that comes with that set to get my higher magnification (and perhaps in future buying a higher quality 4mm/6mm EP?)

4) Or are these GSO eyepieces cheap because they are inferior? And I shouldn't bother with them?

I'm leaning toward the set, but I don't want to get stung.

Many thanks in advance

Boz

I don't normally recommend sets of eyepieces but based on what you have and the content of the set / price it's not actually a bad deal.

My own view is buy fewer more expensive eyepieces but this will take time and at least with this set you will have a good range of magnification which straddles your existing eyepieces. this will allow you time to establish your preferred observing range and if you then want to replace your eyepieces over time with better quality (there's always better quality) you can do. it might be an idea to retain the older ones though for showing children etc things which protects your more expensive gear. if it's just a fingerprint on the eyepiece lens then this can be cleaned off easily enough with some isopropyl alcohol or acetone and no pressure application of soft tissue (after blowing/brushing off any grit etc).

The main issue with these is that they will be just about OK in a fast scope like yours (e.g. f5 is fast and f10 is slow) and probably better than the ones you have. GSO make lots of gear that is reasonable value for money and decent quality.

a 6mm plossl would have quite short eye relief (you'd be very close to the glass) and in this respect a 9mm (or even a 9mm with a 1.5x barlow) will be better.

hope this helps. the world of eyepiece choice is a wide ranging one where almost everyone disagrees on some aspect or other.

I posted this in the newcomer section, but it should have been here really....

Ok, have decided not to buy a barlow for now, and concentrate on complimenting/replacing the 10mm and 26mm basic plossls that came with my Konusky 200 F5 newtonian with motorised EQ5 mount. The 26mm is pretty poor (double images, blurry) and but the 10mm is ok (except some idiot touched the EP!!!! another story).

On this forum many people have said the GSO super plossls are same as Meade 4000, perhaps better. So when I saw this deal I was intrigued - 9, 15, 20 and 32mm plus 1.5x to 2x barlow and case for £91 (a considerable saving):

ScopeTeknix 7 part Photo-Visual eyepiece and accessory kit by GSO

However, with my thinking of no barlow, less glass = more light, I was hoping for a 6mm or 4mm in the set so, I found this for £25:

6mm GSO Plossl Eyepiece [TSSP06] - £25.40 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

Questions:

1) Are these GSO plossls going to be good for general purpose viewing, planets to DSOs?

2) If I choose 6mm what FL would you recommend for a second EP (15, 20, 32 ...)?

3) Or is it worth getting the full set and using the 1.5x to 2x barlow that comes with that set to get my higher magnification (and perhaps in future buying a higher quality 4mm/6mm EP?)

4) Or are these GSO eyepieces cheap because they are inferior? And I shouldn't bother with them?

I'm leaning toward the set, but I don't want to get stung.

Many thanks in advance

Boz

To quickly answer your question, I think the GSO plossls are a bargain.

I have three GSO plossls (32, 12, 9), and three Meade 4000 plossls (26, 15, 6.4). Out of the two types I prefer the GSOs. They give just as good a view, but are cheaper (I'm on a budget) and have a retaining ring on the barrel (which I like to use). My telescope is F6 and I don't notice any problems when I'm observing.

The 32mm is my most used EP, good as a search EP and for the bigger DSOs, followed by the 12mm, which has proven to be a good standard EP. My Meade 6.4mm tends to only get used on the Moon, or occasionally on Jupiter. Using this selection I've enjoyed views of the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, as well as DSOs including, Messiers 1, 13, 27, 31, 33, 36, 37, 38, 42, 43, 44, 45, 52, 56, 57 (my favourite), 71, 78, 81, 82, 110.

Although I've built up my own collection of plossls I think the sets are a good idea, and the only thing that stopped me getting one, was I couldn't afford it at the time. A basic set of plossls seems a good idea to me, and I would recommend them to anyone. Unless you're absolutely sure which EPs you want, then having a basic set allows you to pick out the focal lengths you use most to upgrade. Using that approach I've now got a 13mm Hyperion, with a 24mm and 8mm on my wish list.

I'm still going to keep my plossls though :D

Purchased the £91 set of 4 eyepieces, barlow, moon filter, t-ring and case. I'll be patient and look at higher power and wide angled pieces in future.

Thanks for the response.

Boz

Purchased the £91 set of 4 eyepieces, barlow, moon filter, t-ring and case. I'll be patient and look at higher power and wide angled pieces in future.

Thanks for the responses.

Boz

Hmm, Skope n Skies had a delay on the 20mm and 32mm digi scope eyepieces. So they've called me to change the order to include a SkyWatcher 20mm and a GSO 40mm digi scope. Being impatient for new eyepieces to get looking at the skies, I said yes.

I'm quite ok with the 40mm eyepiece instead of 32mm, as the purpose of that EP is attaching camera and I don't see that as a problem, perhaps better being 40mm.

Have I been short changed on the SkyWatcher? She said it's the same quality as the GSO.

Boz

I think the GSO is better than the Skywatcher, but if you're paying the lower amount you're not losing out.

It's part of a GSO 7 piece set (9mm, 15mm, 20mm, 32mm 'digi scope', barlow, filter, T-thread adapter, metal case) for only £91, so it's an absolute bargain anyway.

Which is why I don't begrudge them swapping the 20mm for a SkyWatcher, provided the quality isn't that far off. It's a shame the set isn't complete, but it is a bargain after all. The barlow and the digi scope EP are mean to cost £40 each!

Scope n Skies have just dispatched, so hopefully get it before weekend.

I'll update the retailer review thread upon receipt.

Boz

Received the set this morning (see Retailer Reviews for latest Scope'n'Skies review).

On first glance, this is a fantastic set. The GSO eyepieces are Revelation as you can see.

The 32mm digiscope was replaced with a 40mm, and the 20mm was replaced with a SkyWatcher 20mm SP, which is definitely not in the same league looks wise. I'll reserve judgement until I use it.

The case is fantastic, and also sports Revelation Astro logo across it. Very nice.

In summary, a total bargain, but a shame about the SkyWatcher eyepiece. Will post more when I've actually tried them out.

Any questions, just shout.

post-26250-133877611821_thumb.jpg

post-26250-133877611829_thumb.jpg

post-26250-133877611837_thumb.jpg

post-26250-133877611845_thumb.jpg

I ordered a 32mm GSO plossl from Scope'n'Skies (but not the one with the camera attachment) on Monday and it turned up this morning, it feels nice and solid. I'm looking forward to trying it out along with the BST explorer 15mm which turned up yesterday as soon as the weather and need to get up for work allows.

Fortunately my scope seems to be quite forgiving on the supplied EP's so I'm not going to rush to replace them, I've just filled the gaps (I hope) in the focal lengths available to me.

Looks like a nice set you've got there, I think I've paid about the same for two EPs (one of them being more or less the same) and a flight case from maplin, so certainly seems like a good deal if you're going to use all the EPs.

Hope you get some clear skies to try them out soon

Tyr

• 5 years later...

An old thread but still readable and  informative, and I too favoured the [GSO] Revelation Astro Plössls over the TeleVue Plössl's.
The TeleView's shortest focal length is 8mm whereas the Revelation has the 4mm and 6mm. The eye-relief on the TeleVue's is short, unbearable when I first tried their 8mm, however, the shortest focal lengths in the Revelation are no better, the eye-relief is still very short, but somehow (for me) I feel more comfortable with them, plus their a lot cheaper, my cheapest was only £9?

Different eyes and/or a different scope , the results may differ, but for now,  I'm still fairly happy with what I have, but could not get out of my mind today, the fact that I have just sold three Delos EP's in as many weeks, having bought them for their eye-relief, field-of-view, the fact they have the Dioptrx system, and the assumption that I was going to own a bigger scope? How quickly things can change with this hobby.

Archived