Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The TS 65mm Astrograph Quadruplet Review

Deneb

I'm watching this thread with great interest as although it is too late for me, I have already made my new refractor purchase, if I'd known about this one, it would have been on my shortlist. I'm pleased you've found a sample image, Rob and those stars really do look weird. The 'pinching' gives the impression of being in four places - I have seen other versions (different optics though) with three areas of pressure but not four. Is there any significance in that?

Sadly, I have to agree that Nadeem's star shapes are also suspect (he knows how I feel about odd star shapes already!) which is such a shame as this 'scope seems to have everything going for it ....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Update:

I used the scope tonight, refitted the guidescope, even got the polar alignment bang on, looks like the scope is going back to TS. Even after getting the focus right, the stars were still looking a bit triangle. I'll post up some shots sometime soon.

After speaking to TS yesterday, they had assured me the scope was checked prior to dispatch & whatever misalignment had happened would have happened while in transit (i don't know if thats hot air!). But anyway they have offered me to have the scope repaired/re-collimated & re-imburse me any carriage costs.

NB: Well at least I have some toys still left to play with like my MN190 & some more new scopes to write reviews about :).

Nadeem.

Get your money back Nadeem.....Ian King sent all of his TS65's back.

They do an excellent 80/480.

Unless they cool the beastie down to about minus 4 thay won't be able to tell if they've cured the issue or not, and you'll only really find out in a few months time.

I've just sent TS an email stating my findings from last night, im actually annoyed at this. I've actually sent them the link to this thread ! Also i've asked for a refund.

From the last conversation I had with TS via Phone, from what I understand they get shipped from the manufactures and arrive misaligned (i dont know if thats through transit or what), then TS corrects them prior them going out to customers. If thats how i've understood it, then thats absolutly appalling. Should they not be corrected by manufacturer in the 1st place...

Nadeem.

You're lucky....TS are pretty good....I got mine from Optcorp, who were happy to take my money, but positively rude and arrogant when it came to trying to get a refund. I still lost out on the shipping charges.

This is such a pity, Nadeem as on the face of it this instrument should be an absolute cracker of a 'scope, you must be very disappointed.

What did you get Steve ?, if you don't mind me asking !

Nadeem.

I'm still waiting for the Feathertouch focusser to arrive for the larger 'scope but this is what I bought instead:-

WO_telescopes.jpg

..... and my star test?

airy_disc_6_flt98.jpg

This is such a pity, Nadeem as on the face of it this instrument should be an absolute cracker of a 'scope, you must be very disappointed.

I'm still waiting for the Feathertouch focusser to arrive for the larger 'scope but this is what I bought instead:-

..... and my star test?

airy_disc_6_flt98.jpg

Disappointment is not the word ! It's nice to see you got the scope sorted & the star test looks good, from me fuming last night your star test looks very similar to the star test I done on the SW120ED last night :D, need I say more...

Nadeem.

Nadeem, what about a visual star test, looking for concentric diff rings inside and outside focus? It is a sensitive test.

Olly

Well glad you asked, these are the test shots taken last night. 1st being a star defocused. The grainy shot was an exposure of 5secs & the last darker image was 5 secs 2x2 binning.

Nadeem.

post-15111-133877608981_thumb.jpg

post-15111-133877608992_thumb.jpg

post-15111-133877609006_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived