Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eq6 Pillar Mount

Zakalwe

Has anyone tried the EQ6 Pillar Mount for a permanent pier? They look like they could be easily modified to be bolted to a concrete slab. What's the stability like?

Or are they a bit too light for a permanent pier?

PILLARMOUNTEQ6SQ.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been having strange thoughts about building a RORO obsy. Or at least starting with a pier.

I don't fancy a concrete pier, so was thinking (assuming I go ahead) of a square metre of concrete in the ground, and a raised plinth about 12" above ground level. Then bolting a metal pier to it. Now given that an off-the-shelf pier is stupid money (even a pier top is daft money for what it is), I'd be getting one fabricated. Then I saw these, and wondered how heavy duty they are? Strip the wheels off, take the screw-down stops out of the end and Rawl-bolt it to the plinth?

I looked at that thinking it could replace most of the pier plus the pier adapter. Then I looked at the price! So my pier and adapter is all DIY. I'll have to price it all up when I've finished.

The only local company that would entertain fabricating a pier for me wanted £400 !

Commercial piers aren't much cheaper. Found these. The combined total of £333 for the pier and £77 for the head puts it is the same price point as the Astroengineering pier at £425.

So for less than £200 the SW pier does in deed offer good value for money for a commercial ready made unit.

post-23388-133877603148_thumb.jpg

post-23388-133877603149_thumb.jpg

So for less than £200 the SW pier does in deed offer good value for money for a commercial ready made unit.

Thats what I was thinking, especially as it appears to have a "head" that the mount fits into.

I wonder why more people don't use them for an obsy pier???

Yes, half the price of a normal steel pier and then there's the pier adapter. With this it's all in one ;) I wonder how stable it actually is. I was thinking you could embed the bottom of it in the concrete block. It would certainly be strong at the bottom but I wonder how rigid the tube is being only about 5" diameter. I think the top should be stiff enough.

Hi

Just by coincidence I happen to have one of the SkyWatcher HEQ5 pillars that I'm not using and have been considering selling. It's like new and is presently packed away in the original shipping boxes.

If anyone would be interested let me know and once I've worked out the shipping cost (it's a bit on the heavy side) I'll be able to come up with a price.

Here's a photo of the pillar with a Skytee 2 mount.

John

I use one of the SW pillar mounts with my EQ6. I roll it out from the garage when required, and put it back when finished. I must admit I've found it very stable on the patio. I'm considering a roll off shed, and I had the same thought about using the pillar mount on a concrete base.

Stargazers Lounge - BlueAstra's Album: Equipment - Picture

Stargazers Lounge - BlueAstra's Album: Equipment - Picture

It might be fine for visual, but I was interested in knowing how it would perform for imaging.

From the looks of it the pillar is 120mm diameter tubing, and with the legs being detachable, you could always fit it inside another tube of 120mm ID which could be cemented into the contrete block and secure with suitable screws or bolts.

I'm sure that would make a really sturdy mount for an EQ5 / HEQ5 mounts

It might be fine for visual, but I was interested in knowing how it would perform for imaging.

I use mine for imaging and it seems stable enough. I've gone up to 10 min exposures without noticing any issues. With repeated use the rubber covers on the threaded levelling bolts wore through so I replaced them with a piece of 10mm hard plastic disk, with a hole drilled and tapped in the centre. This gives a slightly wider contact area with the ground, and perhaps a bit of vibration reduction. I did read somewhere that the stability of a pier depending mainly on its diameter, so if this pier has a similar diameter to the dedicated piers then perhaps its stability would be similar.

I use mine for imaging and it seems stable enough. I've gone up to 10 min exposures without noticing any issues. With repeated use the rubber covers on the threaded levelling bolts wore through so I replaced them with a piece of 10mm hard plastic disk, with a hole drilled and tapped in the centre. This gives a slightly wider contact area with the ground, and perhaps a bit of vibration reduction. I did read somewhere that the stability of a pier depending mainly on its diameter, so if this pier has a similar diameter to the dedicated piers then perhaps its stability would be similar.

That's good to know ;)

I was thinking that if the wheels were removed, then the "legs" could easily be bolted don to a concrete slab, making it even more stable.

John,

Can you post a picture up of how the mount is secured to the pillar ?

Here's a photo of the head that drops into the pillar and is secured by three bolts that go through the wall of the pillar and into the side of the head. Two of the bolt holes can be seen.

The head is fastened to the bottom of the EQ5 mount in the normal manner with the center knob and bolt.

John

I made a doling pier like the one pictured, ages ago. By rolling I mean on wheels with screw down leveling bolts. Simply roll it out, screw it down, connect the power up, and I am imaging, max of 5 minutes.

Mine is from 6" steel water pipe thou. Biggest issue. Have is the lock down bolt that is "within" the pier, darn difficult to access easily, not that azimuth corrections are often needed.

Gary

This is an interesting thread because it is something I have looked at a few times but routed it would be up to holding a 200pds for imaging I could bolt it down but why didnt everybody else use them?

Is it made from steel and how thick is it?

Keep us informed if anybody gets one cheers dazz

Archived