Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p - Unboxing, building and some add ons

Adz

Hi just got one of these today,wicked toy,anyway just noticed your 4 scope rest nylon bushes are on reversed,if you tighten them too much the thread will pull out,the other end has a flange on them to stop that,bet everyone done same thing,hope you all check that,chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this excellent thread Adz, I took delivery of my Skyliner 200p earlier this week and this thread showed me exactly what to expect when it was delivered.

Have used it three times before the clouds rolled in today and absolutely love it.

Thanks for this excellent thread Adz, I took delivery of my Skyliner 200p earlier this week and this thread showed me exactly what to expect when it was delivered.

Have used it three times before the clouds rolled in today and absolutely love it.

What did you see?

Lovely views of the moon with the stock lenses, some nice detail in jupiter, the double stars of Castor and also Mizar and  finally M44.

Enough to keep me happy, but the second night there was a lot less visible because of the moon.

• 3 months later...

This is definitely going to be my first scope.. I'm tempted to buy it from Jessops (currently priced £265) but am trying to be patient as I might find a decent used one on ebay for much less and then I can use the savings made on better EPs for it. If I dont find anything by Mid October then I will pay Jessops a visit :grin:

This is definitely going to be my first scope.. I'm tempted to buy it from Jessops (currently priced £265) but am trying to be patient as I might find a decent used one on ebay for much less and then I can use the savings made on better EPs for it. If I dont find anything by Mid October then I will pay Jessops a visit :grin:

Keep an eye on http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot too. I got mine nearly new for well under £200.

Edited by astromackem
  • Like 1

First Light Optics have them at £275.  In-store Jessops,  I noticed the reflector scope was facing the floor, not the sky?  who sets them up, what is their knowledge?  better support and help from Flo!.

Edited by Charic

First Light Optics have them at £275.  In-store Jessops,  I noticed the reflector scope was facing the floor, not the sky?  who sets them up, what is their knowledge?  better support and help from Flo!.

A very good point. if buying new, you want to be confident they will be able to sort out any niggles you may have. I'm unsure you'll get that from a camera store selling scopes :)

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/04/2011 at 14:03, Adz said:

I realised the the cental washer and 3 supporting sliders in the mount weren't doing a great job at being smooth. So I tried some candle wax around things - DONT DO THIS :)

It made things much worse and more sticky. I had to use turps to get all the wax off and everything clean for another idea. I was recommended car wax so I borrowed some of my dads and waxed up everything inbetween the two boards. Then polished it all up and it works a treat! Another successful mod.

I am not sure car wax would work for my 200P as there are three rectangular pads sticking up from the bottom half of the turntable so unless you mean putting the wax on those rather than the whole disc...?