SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

eq6 payload

space3

hey folks,

no doubt this has been asked before but anyhow ill ask again:evil6:

im currently using a 6" cassagrain on asgt mount, I want to buy a better mount and scope, I have my eye on a eq6 pro, looks like a good mount, ive been looking on the sky watcher site but i cant find a payload capacity,

so here is my question, will an eq6 carry a celestron 9 .25 ota and a skywatcher 80 ed or is that too much for the mount, and if this is a easy pay load for the mount, will it handle a celestron 11" and a 80 ed, or am I going totaly crazy now,

basically Iv been looking at jupitor and mars and saturn through a 6" for the last 4 years and i want better views, dso objects are almost nearly impossible through a 6" scope so im hoping ill also have better views of theese objects aswell, i know the sky watcher mounts are popular in britain so i know a lot of you guys have experience with this equipment, any views and comments greatley appreciated, no dob mount suggestions

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EQ6 has a maximum payload capacity of 18kgs (40lbs) and for imaging the total weigh of equipment carried should not exceed about two-thirds that.

Skywatcher seems to have removed the weight capacities of the mounts from their site so I tend to look at the Orion T&B site for info on the mounts (same mounts, different names) Orion Telescopes and Binoculars

Peter

The real question is - are you going todo any photography with it?

If so then you can 1/2 the weight capacity as the mount needs to be able to hold the payload steady without wobbling.

I think I have a grand total of about 7Kg with the Pentax and the 16ic imaging or swapped out with a Baader Hyperon EP. The result is a very steady, even with a 3.5mm (192x) EP attached.

In that case you need to consider the FL of the C9.25. Weight is only one issue, tracking accuracy is the other. EQ sixes are a bit variable out of the box and to image at native with a 9.25 would not be top of my To Do list. At F6.3 it would be another matter. You'd probably want to go down the OAG route which seems to be where most SCT imagers end up.

You probably know already that these mounts have a pretty big periodic error but that it tends to guide out well. For me the comfort zone ends at a metre of FL, after which luck and fine tuning may be needed.

Olly

Up until yesterday (I just got an extended counterweight bar) I was running with 25kg+ in counterweight so I must have at least 25kg on the scope side (10" newt and 80ed side by side) I have been shooting 30 min subs @ 1200mm with tight round stars.

Mike.

post-13376-133877568541_thumb.jpg

Proof in the pudding! I think Mike has demonstrated very effectively in one shot, the EQ6's potential.

I have mine loaded up with my Vixen 150 ED with Baader Mk V's and assesories and a silding counterweight system to boot, approx 40LB

Rock steady and smooth for visual and just about start dabling in some fun CDD.

Paul

thanks for the all the replys,

im assuming you dont include the counter weights when weighing up the load on the mount,

a c11" is 12.5 kg

3 cw is 14.5 kg

so that would be above the cappasity of the mount, :)

thanks for the all the replys,

im assuming you dont include the counter weights when weighing up the load on the mount,

a c11" is 12.5 kg

3 cw is 14.5 kg

so that would be above the cappasity of the mount, :)

you are right the counterweights are excluded. You may have to get extra weights. I use 3 weights with just the C11 and 4 + with the megrez 90 also attached

Up until yesterday (I just got an extended counterweight bar) I was running with 25kg+ in counterweight so I must have at least 25kg on the scope side (10" newt and 80ed side by side) I have been shooting 30 min subs @ 1200mm with tight round stars.

Mike.

Mike, I've seen an EQ6 here that was as accurate as our EM200 but it had been stripped and reassembled. Is yours straight from the box? My two are a bit variable, sometimes very good but sometimes not tip top beyond a metre. I have done plenty of imaging at that but do have 'reluctant' nights, as it were... Also I don't like to drop subs so I am conservative in my estimates. If I drop one sub in six I call that 'not working.' I don't know where others draw that imaginary line.

Olly

Mike, I've seen an EQ6 here that was as accurate as our EM200 but it had been stripped and reassembled. Is yours straight from the box? My two are a bit variable, sometimes very good but sometimes not tip top beyond a metre. I have done plenty of imaging at that but do have 'reluctant' nights, as it were... Also I don't like to drop subs so I am conservative in my estimates. If I drop one sub in six I call that 'not working.' I don't know where others draw that imaginary line.

Olly

Olly, it's a Old EQ6 I got new in 2004 I did strip it down in 2005 and clean and replace the black gunk they used to use. I originally used the Rajiva MCU mod ( before The EQ6 had a goto option) but finally upgraded to the EQ6 pro motors last year.

Diff flex was my biggest problem but now I have a OAG I am good to go.

Mike.

you are right the counterweights are excluded...

That's a relief! I was reading this thread and thinking to myself "Ummm... I have 20Kg on my mount before I even count the telescopes!". I'm pretty sure my load falls within the 18Kg quoted, as not all of my 5Kg weights are at full distance.

Things will get 1Kg lighter when I get a 383/314 to replace my DSLR...

OK so it looks as if I'm a bit of a pessimist in thinkg that much over a metre is not EQ6 comfort zone. Ignore me!!...

I could never ignore such a valuable resource for information and images, Olly.

My MN190 is 1m FL, and I would agree that (in my modest experience) it's about the limit of the EQ6, certainly unguided. I plan to get a maksutov or SCT at some point, just to get the planetary/lunar bug out of my system, but then I'm hoping that the short shutters involved in capturing them will lessen the problem.

Archived