Narrowband

Skywatcher 127 mak

Hi

I've a Celestron 4se and tried upgrading the ota to a SW 127, well it worked a bit but not too well.

Its a bit too much for the mount and to balance it it is too far back to allow any more than about 75 degrees alt.

What would be my best bet?

sell the complete 4se to part fund an EQ3 goto or hang on a bit and save for an EQ5 goto?

is the 3 man enough?

I might... Dabble in piccies, might!

cheers

post-21341-135783462143_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's how I got in this mess... Wanted that extra inch :D

Suppose I should clarify a bit, I have a 10" manual dob, the 4se was a quick small scope to take camping last year but I kind of liked it and use it quite a bit. I like playing with the goto! But felt the 127 would be ... Just that bit better, which it is ! Hut its a hit wobbly now :D

I use the 127 Mak for planetary imaging on an aging EQ3-2 with aftermarket motors. It's a bit wobbly when you move the focuser, but otherwise not too bad. For visual use I'm sure it would be ok. For imaging a motorised focuser really helps.

James

Hi Knobby, i have the SW 127 on the EQ3 and find its great for planetary and luna stuff but it's quite susceptible to vibrations. not sure if it's the mount or the focuser on the scope or a combination of the pair. mine is push and point at the moment, maybe i'll put the RA and DEC motors on later this year and see if it makes a difference hope this helps. :smiley:

I have my 127 Mak on An EQ3-2 Pro GoTo and it is a great little General Purpose scope. My scope came with Aluminium legs.

Wobble is not really a problem as long as you are light fingered on the focus control. The very high winds as we get in the South of France can be a bit of a problem but the the air is so torn up that viewing is poor anyway!

David

I use the 127 Mak for planetary imaging on an aging EQ3-2 with aftermarket motors. It's a bit wobbly when you move the focuser, but otherwise not too bad. For visual use I'm sure it would be ok. For imaging a motorised focuser really helps.

James

I agree, I use a 127 on an EQ3-2 it does the job but could be better, if you can get an eq5 I would do. The motorised focuser is a life saver with the mak 127 unless you want your image to swing side to side for seconds on end >.< good luck

so, in summary then ...

The 127 SW does work on a Celestron 4se mount, but not too well !

I cant justify the expense of an EQ5 but if anyone can tell me if the EQ3 needs to be polar aligned or works with just a 2 or 3 star alignment, then I guess i'll be saving for an EQ3 !

(but only if it has steel tubular legs)

cheers all

Hi again Knobby, if your gonna be doing A P you'll probably be better off saving for the EQ5 or even a HEQ5 with the motors,

rule of thumb seems to be the bigger and more solid the mount the better when it comes to the photography side of things .

If your set on getting the EQ3 then try to find one with synscan already on it, this would be the EQ3 pro at around £390.

And thats the aluminium box section mount.

Another mod that seems popular for the mac 127 is the motor on the focuser, i'm sure iv'e seen a review on here or the astronomy shed site showing how it's done.

Hope this helps you make your mind up mate. :smiley:

Archived